Radeon panning

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by stein1542, Dec 6, 2003.

1. stein1542

stein1542 Geek Trainee

Okay I'm sorry if this question has already been addressed, but I don't have the time to do a thorough search.

I just upgraded my Nvidia to an ATI (Saphire Radeon 9000 128MB DVI/TV/VGA). The only problem I am having is that with my Nvidia, if i changed the resolution it would just fit to my screen, even if it was messed up, but with my Radeon it has the neat little panning feature. I don't want this neat little panning feature. I WANT to have my 1600x1200, and I want it all to fit on my screen even if distorted or with 1mm off the screen. Is there any way to fix this? Can I just turn off the panning or should I even just uninstall the ATI software and just get the card's driver?

Thank you all very much for your help.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think it might be the software, isnt there a option to turn the panning off somewhere in the settings tab?

3. stein1542

stein1542 Geek Trainee

As far as I can tell there is not, and I have navigated the entire thing. I have also tried ATI documantation, but to no avail. I was hoping someone had experienced this and changed it.

4. stein1542

stein1542 Geek Trainee

Alright, I figured it out, and I'll post how so in the future if anyone has the same question they don't have to look stupid like me :-/

At least to me the reasons for this fix working are inexplicable, but maybe someone can figure it out with their superior brains.

Go to the advanced settings menu, then displays, click your monitor, and go to the first tab (attributes) and make sure you have unchecked "Use DDC information" as long as you are sure your monitor CAN support your desired resolution, put it in. Now I wanted 1600x1200, because that's what I'd been using, so that's what i put in and chenge it to (without a hitch). Now for some reason my DDC said I could have some huge resolution (1920x1440) and could support up to 160hz refresh. Now I know for a fact that both of those numbers were far off, but that shouldn't have effected me the way it did. So far this is the only flaw I have found with ATI software: A) DDC info. could be extremely wrong, don't trust it, and B) for some inexplicable reason it will enable the ever-present panning feature if you don't set the maximum resolution to what you want your resolution to be.

Thanks for trying sniper, hope this helps anyone who had/may eventual have this problem.

-Stein-

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Wel you can try going to the device manager.

Right-Click on my computer, go to properties, go to the hardware tab, and to device manager.
    Find the monitor list, click on the plus, right-click on what's there, choose remove, close all your windows, reboot the system.

Now windows should detect your monitor as a plug and play monitor and shouldn't allow you to choose options that are not supported by either your video card or your monitor.