Running too hot?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by swoop, Nov 20, 2003.

1. swoop

swoop Geek Trainee

Hi. I recently put together my new machine and decided to go with the p4 2.4C. I got an Abit IC7-G mobo, an Alpha PAL8942T HS, Arctic Silver 5 and I'm using an Antec fan running at about 2700 RPM on top of the HS. I am, right now, running 1 512MB pc2100 crucial RAM and nothing is overclocked. I have 2 side intake fans, 2 rear exhaust fans and 1 blow hole fan. My case temp is always ~25-26C but my CPU temp is 39C idle and quickly goes up to 45 and over under load. While trying the Sandra burn-in I stopped it after about 5 minutes when the temp hit 49C.

Did I do something wrong installing this? I had a bit of screwing the Alpha HS into the mobo, it was sliding around a bit, and it was my first time using a thermal paste. These temps seem around 10C too high. Should I redo this?

Thanks.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you put on a thick layer of paste and didn't scrape off the thermal pad on the heatsink (I don't think that Alpha has one however), either one or both could affect temps. You only need a very thin layer of thermal compound---it's just there to fill in the tiny microgaps between the 'sink and the CPU.

3. swoop

swoop Geek Trainee

I followed the directions exactly as layed out on their website http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

I dunno...it's just that i'm reading places that people are running p4s overclocked at cooler temps than mine is running at...I guess i'll try to reapply the AS and HS over the weekend and see if it gives me any better results.

4. IGDIABLO

IGDIABLO Geek Trainee

you sad prick

you really are a sad bastard you need to get a fuckin life coming on here and chattin pure shit about your fucking computer no one gives a shit to be honest so fuck off and go get a life, some m8s or a girl freind or something and come back and thank me for my advice. KINGY

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

IGDIABLO: If you're going to flame people here, please don't come through.

That's a valid question. Personally, if my rig is stable, I'm not as concerned about the temps. A lot of factors come into play with cooling.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

49C is only 102.5F, I really don't think your CPU is overheating. Even at 65C I'd find it doubtful (but temp sensors aren't always accurate). What brand/wattage PSU do you have? If your PSU can't handle the extended power load of the burn-in test, that may be the source of your instability problem.