strange problem with HDD

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by RHochstenbach, Jan 12, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Guys I solved it. The HDD was broken. So I got my money back, and I bought an SATA HDD of 160 GB from Maxtor. Normally if you have a damaged harddisk, your computer reseller has nothing to do with it anymore. So you would then need to contact the manufacturer itself. But I know the guy from the store very well, so I got the money back. The new SATA drive costed $121. The broken one costed $82. So I only had to pay the difference ($39) for the new one. I connected everything, downloaded the floppy image for the RAID driver of the motherboard and merged it with the installation of XP (because xp cannot recognise SATA drives by itself). Everything works fine now. That SATA drive is SO fast, that the boot screen of XP only appears for 1 second, and then the login screen is loaded :p

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I wouldent of got Maxtor, they apparently aint very reliable, something to do with the bearings in them.

3. RHochstenbach

Well, I have another Maxtor harddrive from 2001. Is about 5-6 years old. Is still performing very good.

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Seagate = Good
    Seagate bought Maxtor, which means
    Seagate = Maxtor
    From the above equation
    Maxtor = Good

5. RHochstenbach

I totally agree with that :). Manufacturing errors can happen with any brand.

6. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

It wasent manufacturing errors, i think they had a reputation for bad drivers, i forgot that Seagate bought Maxtor....

7. RHochstenbach

Yeah, the new phone number of Maxtor is 1-800-SEAGATE :D