Stuck in stand by mode?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SxcMofo, Apr 19, 2008.

1. SxcMofo

SxcMofo Geek Trainee

Intro: Hey, my names mike, and ive noticed alot of people around the web asking about their problems with their computers involving stand by mode. The most popular problem was that they put their computer in stand by mode, and found that they couldn't get out of it, even if they rebooted. I also had the same problem, and would get frustrated at the fact that people would give the most useless advice as to how to fix it. So i decided, since i fixed my problem, I'd join this server and show you how to fix this problem if needed.

Problem: Your computer is stuck in stand by mode, or power saving mode, and you can't seem to get a screen up.

Solution:
    1. Unplug the power cord from your computer, saving you from hazards such as electricity.
    2. Open your case up so you can see your motherboard. The side you want to open is the left side, because that is the one you'll be able to view your whole motherboard in.
    3. Locate a coin shaped battery, roughly the size of a 10 cent coin. This is known as the CMOS battery. An image of it is located at : ImageShack - Hosting :: cmosbatterygw5.png

If you have trouble finding it, here is a image that should help you locate it : ImageShack - Hosting :: locationofcmosor5.png

4. Once you've found it, fiddle around with it until you manage to take it out, but be very cautious not to scratch the motherboard, and dont break anything holding in the battery. I personally use a screw driver (not cross head) to help me take it out.

5. Once it is taken out, simply place is back in, and you've resetted your CMOS, meaning your finished! I know its really simple, and irritated me till i found out how to fix my problem. I apologize if it seems like i made a guide too big for the problem, but alot of people that arent as advanced in computing than others need this sort of descriptive guide. Please dont try changing the actual battery, as that is for another problem. If you want to know what that does, well google is your friend ^_^.

Enjoy the guide, i hope i helped some people.
    Mike

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

while on the subject of BIOS reset, i wrote a good guide here

3. SxcMofo

SxcMofo Geek Trainee

People that are viewing this and need help, I'd reccomend reading donkey42's guide to BIOS resetting, as it'll help you to understand what BIOS is, its purposes, and how to actually reset it. It should help you out if you've got any problems as an addition to asking me.
    Thanks for the post donkey.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no probs, just hope it useful