Stupid question

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by wompshmack, Dec 9, 2005.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Ok, I know its stupid, I just have never done it before so Im wondering...
    If I put an AGP 8x card into an agp 4x port will it
    A) Work, but have bottlenecking issues
    B)Not work at all
    C)Undo the very fabric of space-time

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Option C. You will create a deadly worm hole that will swallow us all, then burp us out again. Could you live with yourself after that?

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

It's only a stupid q if you are serious about option C.

Do not do it before checking!
    There could be voltage compatability issues, read Anti trend's answer in the following thread-
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/i-think-ive-killed-my-graphics-card-9175/

Otherwise check with the maker of the board regarding the voltage and compare it to the one on the graphics card.

Hope this helps.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah if it's a Motherboard with AGP 3 (4x-8x) on it then you're okay, AGP 2 (2x-4x) and AGP 1 (1x) won't work.
    I'm not too sure about bottlenecking, you may notice a slight decrease in performance but not too much I shouldn't think.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

You're fine, AGP 8x is backwards compatable so you can stick a 4x card in there without a hitch. Hence the reference 4x/8x slot or GeForce 5500 AGP 4x/8x for example. But as Matt said just make sure it's not a AGP 1 or 2x card as you'll fry you're slot and most likely your card due to voltage differences.

6. Addis

Addis The King

AGP 1x and 2x have different slots so you won't be able to normally insert the wrong card type in.

7. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Good to know, I dont have any agp ports in any of my computers, nor do I have any agp cards, so its not quite a problem just yet, I was just asking to see what I should buy. Me and my friend are working on a project to build a computer for $100, cause thats the money we had when we started this project. We've scrounged a lot of things, traded for stuff etc, and I think what we're gonna end up with is a athlonXP setup, which is where we're going to run into these agp issues.

Thx!

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Any XP for $100 is pretty damn good. Hope it works out for you:)

9. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Yeah, but given the trading and scrounging involved its really unfortunate we wont be able to do this repeatedly, since things seem to be going well. For some reason my mom always has some leftover pc parts, nothing major, ya know, spare ide cables, cd drives, maybe an old case or 2, but shes been a lot of help in cutting corners.I think once we get it set up we're gonna overclock it to death trying to make it run doom3, or something. Im just not sure of their capabilities since I've never really gamed on an athlonXP. We'll have fun seeing what it can do though, and I'm sure I'll be back on here asking you guys what it can handle.

;)

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

XP's are good, a 2800 is compairable to the 3000+ or so in gaming assuming you have a good videocard to back it up. Though for $100 I'm asssuming you'll go with a ATI 9000 or something.
    And it sounds like you're mom is pretty cool, anyone mother who has spare ide cables and cases lying arourd gets my approval:cool: