Superior Alternative to IE

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Anti-Trend, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you haven't had the opportunity to try it already, I'd like to encourage you to test drive Mozilla Firebird, a free, open source browser based on Mozilla. It's stable, secure, fast, flexible, skinnable, easy to use, and takes a fraction of the memory footprint of IE. And at 6mb, it's even a quick download for the bandwidth-poor among us. On my Win platforms, this baby is always the default browser. Get used to NOT EVER seeing popups again. :D

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hmmm, I will try it but having tried many other browsers I find IE 6 to, still be the best :)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I use Netscape, except when putting in reviews. I like the tabbed browsing on NS7 over Mozilla Firebird.

4. Anti-Trend

Yeah, Netscape isn't bad (Mozilla-based). To me the big draw for Firebird is the lightweight design with plugins. It doesn't come fat and bloated, you add functionality as desired (including alternate tab behaviour, etc).

5. pcgamer72

pcgamer72 Geek Trainee

I just use MyIE2

6. Anti-Trend

/me cries :sad:

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

ohhhhhhhhhh :) me loves IE6 despite all its flaws :) lol

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I tried MyIE, but I like how the tabs can be controlled by clicking on a link with the middle mouse button under Netscape.

9. Anti-Trend

Personally, I'm tired of IE's security holes, lack of flexibility (pop-ups galore!), and bad MIME handling. Netscape (and Mozilla) aren't bad, but a little heavy for my taste. Mozilla Firebird is a little like a Lamborgini; no frills, just fast. The concept is simple -- it includes only the functionality you need, and you can easily snap in modules for extended features as you desire them. It's also got a skinable and very flexible UI. :) </end_shameless_plug>

P.S. - The same middle-click tab behavior applies to Firebird as well (unless you change it) :)

10. DwnSthGaBoyz

DwnSthGaBoyz Geek Trainee

so which one is probably the best as far as speed on a 56k modem goes? im on ie6.0 but its been slow lately and its ticking me off, any suggestions are welcome

11. Anti-Trend

Firefox. :) The best way to get more speed out of Windows is to adjust your MTU. W2k Does this automatically, as does Linux / Unix.

12. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Mozilla 1.7B is very fast here and it's the only one I use.
    I don't use Firefox because I don't like the preference menu.

13. Anti-Trend

I haven't used Moz1.7b yet, I' think I'll wait 'till the final build. But I loved 1.4 and 1.6, especially for quick web design. If Moz1.7 is as nice as you say, I can't wait for the next version of Firefox, built on Moz-core 1.7 :D Sweeeeeet!

14. Anti-Trend

BTW, you can add in all the menu stuff you're missing in Firefox with this little plugin. :good:

15. Anti-Trend

Moz 1.7 to be Milestone Release

From what I've just learned, Mozilla 1.7 will be the milestone build for quite some time, as Moz 1.4 was before it. As a result, Firefox 1.0 will be built from Moz 1.7's core. With the 1.0 release of Firefox, hopefully we'll see a lot more distros and a lot more companies (not to mentions home users) standardize on this browser.