System crashes

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rich998, Aug 23, 2004.

1. rich998

rich998 Geek Trainee

My new PC!

Great I thought. Except for the crahes and unusual software problems.

Today I've been using MSN and MSN messenger. When I click on my email at the top of MSN Explorer I get the emails and an error - which then askes me to open a debug editor to debug!

Also I've had Battlefield Vietnam crash on me. The PC just reboots in the middle of a game. In addition (and maybe more seriously) I get the famous Blue screen telling me the system is going to shut down and is dumping memory onto disk! AAARRRHHHH!

One of the error reports is telling me that it was caused by the CPU not being happy with some hardware. Any clue?

I've tried to reinstall XP home but it seems to have made the system even more unstable.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Have you don all of the winXP updates? And your video card drivers up to date?

3. Addis

Addis The King

yeah my old comp was reallly picky with drivers. If you reinstalled over tour old installation then try reformatting. The system specs would be useful. Anyway how new is it?

4. rich998

rich998 Geek Trainee

Well I've just put it together myself (and with some help from this forum - Big B and Ninja F!).

Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe, 1gb Kingston RAM, AMD Athlon 3200+, 1x W/D 80gb SATA, 1 x W/D 80gb IDE Special Edition, Super Flower Quad PSU 520W, Super Flower Case, Sony CD/R and DVD/R, My old Ati 8700 video card and Creative Labs Audigy card - both of which I am a little suspicious about because I don't know if they are being the the problem. The m/b already has nVidia nForce 2 and even though the nvidia sound is the default I don't know if there is a problem as a result of having the 2.

Late today I reinstalled a BIOS for the M/b and so far so good but some errors are still coming up but none too serious as before.

However, I always have a Windows Update icon in the task bar and it just says 'Downloading Updates : 0%' which has always been there. Just doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

5. rich998

rich998 Geek Trainee

Sorry - Video card is a Radeon 9700 Pro

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Have you tried setting BIOS to it's default? I suspect that there might be a timing or timings for the memory that are faster than what the memory can handle and that's causing errors.

The nForce 2 Soundstorm is very good, and IMO, beats the crap outta the Audigy 1 (the A2 may be a different story). Creative's cards are known to not be the most friendly when it comes to sharing the PCI bus, and that could be an issue.

I'm running the 4.24 nForce drivers and the 4.8 Catalysts (actually the DNA version of it) on my setup here.

7. rich998

rich998 Geek Trainee

Hey Big B!

What exactly is the '4.8 Catalysts' and is that something I should have on the Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe?

I adjusted the Bios because the processor was only showing a 2500+ barton on the control panel/system window. I was advised on this forum to changed the ram settings and this fixed the problem.

8. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

9. rich998

rich998 Geek Trainee

Thanks Sniper!

So do you guys think I should remove my Sound Blaster card altogether?

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes. Unless you have a burning desire to have something in every slot, the A7N8X-E has Firewire and great sound. You won't gain anything with the Audigy.