The things people throw away.....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by megamaced, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

[ot]

hmmm..... here's a few things that i thought off (all BIOS Stuff)

Check for a setting like "On AC power loss" , which on my mobo has the options On, Off and Last state.

Has it got a dial up modem? if so check that "Boot on ring" is not enabled. I enabled that setting on my grans computer to confuse her!!! [when the phone rings the computer turns on :p untill the got broadand... ]

See if there are options for a h/w device starting the computer, similar to the options which allow your mouse to / not to bring the computer out of sleep

thats all i can think of, maby coz im hungover.... good luck!
    [/ot]

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Thats hilarous :D I'll check my settings tonight.....

3. megamaced

You were right, I had to change a few settings in the CMOS setup. Funny thing is, it still doesn't turn off, It's one of those old computers that can't turn off by it's self! Windows displays the message 'it is now safe to switch off your computer'. Ahhh, the good old days :D

I was thinking about possible upgrade paths. I don't want too spend to much (as little as possible) because I got the computer for free after all. It can't handle anymore RAM, so the only options are a better CPU or HHD:

AMD k6 200MHz - I could upgrade this to a Pentium 233MMX. The jumpers only go up to 3.5 (3.5 x 66). Would a similar clocked AMD k6 233MHz be as good as a P1?

Alternately, I could upgrade the hard drive: Seagate 2GB 4,200RPM PIO Mode 4. The motherboard doesn't support any DMA modes, so the only benefit of upgrading would be faster RPM speed and therefore, access times.

4. cybergiest

cybergiest Geek Trainee

sorry no pdf on the old compaq, mine runs windows 95 and it "shuts down" and turns off the monitor but you can still operate the cd rom and play music through the speakers, my cdrom has two buttons on the front, play/fast forward and stop/eject. using these two buttons you can play music cds and the two volume buttons on the front still control the volume through the speakers. when you hit the button on the front it posts and boots. i put a small heatsink and fan on the pentium 233 and the fan runs all the time although the power supply fan turns off when it shuts down.

i do have the drivers for the video and sound though. the voltage jumpers are marked as well as the multiplier jumpers.

5. megamaced

Do you mean to settings are etched onto the motherboard next to the jumpers? Are the jumpers located next to the CPU?

Windows 98 doesn't like the shutdown mode on the Compaq, so it doesn't work like it would in Windows 95. All the drivers installed automatically in Windows 98SE - with the exception of the ISA Modem. I found a driver for that on Compaq's website though.

6. megamaced

I don't believe it! Yahoo (my work place) are chucking out a load of old HP Vectras (hey Anti-Trend ;) ). What is it about the old HP Vectra models? No one wants them anymore! There are loads and loads of P2 and P3 models ready to be dumped! I'm going to have my hands full tonight! :D

7. megamaced

I stuck a Pentium 1 233MHz in there! To be honest, I haven't noticed much of a speed increase (against the AMD K6). It does seem to be a little more powerful though.

I didn't keep it on for long because I don't have a decent heatsink or fan. The heatsink that comes with the Compaq is terrible, and I doubt it does it's job very well.

I am glad I read your post again, because I completely forgot about the voltage jumpers! :eek: Can you tell me where they are located, and what configuration they need to be in.

I had to guess the correct jumper settings for the multiplier :) I shouldn't have done it really as I could have potentially damaged my computer, but I was in a pretty bad mood that morning and didn't really care at the time!
    I set it to 200MHz first, then down to 166MHz, then I finally managed to get it set at 233MHz.

8. cybergiest

cybergiest Geek Trainee

Hey Megamaced.
    here you go on those jumpers.
    betweenn the front edge of the motherboard and the socket, to the right of the 3 tall capacitors is the following silk screen:
    JP3
    2.8v open
    2.9v 1-2
    3.0v 3-4
    3.1v 1-2, 3-4
    3.2v 5-6
    3.3v 1-2, 5-6
    JP3 is located on the left front corner of the motherboard between JP2 and JP4. JP2 is the 1x3 that runs front to back, JP3 & 4 are 2x3 that run left to right with #1 being the left front pin. they are right next to the speaker output for the left speaker.
    I haven't found what jp4 is for yet. I am hoping that it might also be part of the voltage jumper set. hopefully it is and we might be able to put a k6 266 in it.
    also saw a few things at http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/compaq/faq/hardware.htm that might pertain to your computer not shutting off or going to sleep when you shut down.
    the jumper settings for the cpu multiplier is in a box on the other side of one of the chipset chips, it is in a white box with a white line leading down to the jumpers.

9. megamaced

Oops, I snapped the metal retention clip on the heatsink! :x:
    What a peice of tatt, Compaq should be ashamed of themselves!
    Looks like I've got no choice but to buy a decent heatsink and fan combo now! :rolleyes:

Lets say I want to set the voltage to 3.1. That would mean I would need to cover pins 1-2 & 3-4. How am I supposed to do this when Compaq have only supplied one jumper connector? :rolleyes:

By the way, whats JP2 for? Is it for clearing the CMOS by any chance?

10. cybergiest

cybergiest Geek Trainee

yes jp2 is for clearing the cmos, i've put mine all back together and i can't remember where it says it. i also saw somewhere on-line that these can go upto 366 but that would mean dropping the voltage down to 2.2 or 2.4 depending on which amd k6 you have. i will have to search for it and write the link in for you. also i soldered in a power connector for the heatsink that goes to the power supply fan. i put a tall k6-2 heatsink on it and it runs slower than normal so it is quieter than normal and the tall heat sink should help dissapate the heat with the slower fan speed.

11. megamaced

Thanks for all your help cybergiest :good: