thinking of going linux

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by gaz2374, Oct 1, 2006.

1. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

dont no why but always fancied trying it so what are advantages of having any of the linux os also will all my games and software work on it or do i need secial drivers etc. can i install it on a partion of a drive so i can switch for win xp and linux incase i dont like it or so i dont have to reinstall everything again.

also what would a good easy to use and starter linux to try .

2. Addis

Addis The King

It's not going to be a completely smooth ride, since there are some new things that you'll have to put into learning about.

Linux is a unix clone, and so is very different to Windows. Normally, you can't run Windows applications in Linux, but sometimes you can if you use Windows emulation software called WINE. For games which only run on Windows, you can use software called Cedega which will allow DirectX games to run.

Bear in mind, that you'll have to learn a lot, but its nothing too taxing. For a new user, I would suggest Ubuntu, or if you want a slicker looking GUi, Kubuntu. You can find them at Welcome - Ubuntu: Linux for human beings and Kubuntu - The KDE Desktop They both have the same underlying core system, the only thing different is the GUI. You can download the .iso files of the latest release (v 6.06) and burn them to CD using software like Nero/Alcohol.

Generally, most of your normal hardware will be supported. This includes disk drives, sound cards (the majority), graphics cards (if you download and install the appropriate drivers). However, exotic, uncommon devices may not be supported.

Check out this FAQ for more information: http://www.hardwareforums.com/linux-general-faq-8142/

3. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

ok cheers il look further into it.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Ubuntu / Kubuntu, Mandriva and openSUSE are all good. Freespire is probably the best for newbies

5. Fred

Fred Moderator

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

about 80 - 90% of windows stuff will work in linux (through wine) i'm using kubuntu (although i have mandriva installed on kubuntu (via vmware) and 98, i think you'd be better starting with Freespire, Mandriva or Kubuntu (for ease of use Freespire is probably better for noobs, like me)

7. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Brief advantages of linux and other alternative UNIX systems:
    • Security
    • All the software you could need for free
    • Stability
    • Customization

Windows software can be tricky. For games, try cedega*. For other things try win4lin.

It is very easy to set up a dual boot system so that windows is always a reboot away.

Personnally what I would recommend for trying linux is a liveCD like kubuntu, mepis, knoppix and the like. This is the best and safest way to try it out and see if it is for you before you get it installed. A liveCD could keep you busy for a few days learning things and trying out some open source software. If you decide that you are ready to install it on your system I would recommend Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, freespire and PC-BSD. Visit distrowatch and browse around some of the distrobutions and there are some very useful articles there also like this one on the top 10.

* - Corrected by Moderation

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Try finding native Linux equivilents for software you use normally rather than jumping right to emulation with WINE. For instance, OpenOffice.org is good enough for 99% of the people in the world, though not many realize it, and it's free & native to Linux. Why emulate MS Office if you don't need to? The same thing goes for most applications. In many cases, you will find Linux equivilents which are superior to their Windows counterparts. For instance, Amarok, which is amazing. Then there's always the well used, cross-platform favorites like Firefox, Opera and Skype.

So, what I'm saying is this: try and find equivilent software which is native to Linux before defaulting to emulating Windows software. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

9. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

can i do this boot option were i can have linux installed on my 2 hdd and windows on my primary and then swap in the BIOS settings which one i want to boot from . then obviously if i find linux easier and all round better once iv sussed out all the programs i need for games and drivers etc then i can bin windows.

how do i go about installing my broadband on linux as thats the first thing il need t sort so i can come here for help.

10. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

oh yeah when i do go for one of the linux's will all my hardware still work or will it all have to be reinstalled like gpu/hdd/dvd-rom/sound card etc

11. Addis

Addis The King

Your disk drives will all be taken care of, so they're fine.

Your graphics card will need to have the drivers installed for you to get the full 3d acceleration, otherwise you can't play games.

You speak of using a piece of software called a bootloader. A bootloader is installed when you install Linux, typically it is installed to the Master Boot Record of your hard drive. The Ubuntu/Mandriva/most distros installer will actually search your hard drive for existing OSs, and then create a menu. What happens then is that when you boot, you get a nice menu asking which OS you want to load. Either Linux or Windows. You don't have to go into the BIOS, :).

Your broadband internet should work without any work from you if you use a router, or otherwise connect with an ethernet cable. If you have a wireless network card, things become more complicated. But generally, wired networks don't require configuring. But, if you connect directly to your ADSL modem (if you use ADSL), without using a router, then you'll need to put in your ISP details once your connection is set up.

12. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

internet wise im not sure dont think its a router im on telewest broadband with a webSTAR cable modem so god knows what will happen. also will i still be able to use msn messenger or not.

13. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

just found my last copy of pc format and the cover disk has ubuntu 6.06 is this a good one to try.

14. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Go for it! I'm a relatively new Linux user (less than 6 months). I have Mandriva & XP on dual boot. The more I use Linux, the more I appreciate it and prefer it to Windows.

I had a few teething troubles at first, but this is probably par for the course with a distinctly different and new OS - but things are fine now and it won't be long before I make a total switch - methinks!

15. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

i probably will do this week just want to no that most things i do will be supported i dont mind useing xp and linux for now but would eventually do the swap . when i figure it all out.

whats the main differences betwwen the different linux os's

iv seen a linux mag a a lcal shop so think il get it tommorrow and have a read while at work. also comes with cd so i guess there will be software i could need.

16. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Linux itself is the kernel, or core of the system. When refering to linux, you are refering only to the kernal component so the differences between them are the differences between versions. Linux is bundled into many, many distrobutions, or distros as you will read and hear most of the time. Distros vary greatly and cover a wide spectrum of uses, users and philosophies.

Here are some of the key differences (as I see it, others will vary):
    • Package (software) management system
    • Philosophy
    • User base; from grandma to uber-geek
    • Intended use; server, desktop, workstation, cluster, handheld device etc.

There are many differences between distros and you really need to figure out for yourself what you want out of the system. Ubuntu is a good start but it may not be right for you.

17. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

If you can wait for a few days, Linux Magazine has a free copy of Mandriva 2007 on the cover. I've got a subscription :)

18. Milanche

Milanche Geek

If u want (K)Ubuntu wait for about 2 weeks for version 6.10 (Edgy Eft)

19. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

the mag i bougt is called linux user and developer. it came with simplyMEPIS 6.0 is this a good one to try as im gonig to give it a run tonight on the live cd.

witch ever distro i choose will the likes of avg/bitcommet work

20. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

oh yeah while i install a disro on my second hdd it gets reformated etc but my other main one with windows and everything else on wont get touched will it . and il be able to acces the hdd while in the non xp OS