This is cool: a unified standard for mobile phone chargers?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Feb 18, 2009.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Check it out

ZDNet: Single charger coming for mobile phones

Sounds like a brilliant move. I'm really liking my own micro usb interface on my new chocolate 3 phone. So much better than the port I had on my old phone... But even better, if everyone has the same charger, how awesome will it be to be able to charge your phone while, for example, hanging out at your friend's house!

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

In our family everyone has Nokia's, so until recently we had a standard charger, and then Nokia decided to change the plug :mad: <-- That's supposed to be "mad"??

[OT]How do you pronounce Nokia? We say it knock-ee-arr. I've heard some Americans on tinternet pronounce it Noh-kee-ar :S[/OT]

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Yeah i read that- pretty good about bloody time! Hopefully they will also standardise that to be the data interface also!

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

A universal charger could be useful, but I'd be more happy if there's gonna be a standard for wireless charging :)

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hah, the smiley is wrong because HF has two different smileys associated with the same "code". "mad" can also mean crazy, which is presumably what that smiley is trying to be. You know how every smiley can be inserted by typing in something, like a colon and a D will give a :D? Well, there are 2 "mad" smileys, and that one is apparently default. I've noticed this problem before but I guess it's not fixed yet. Maybe you could try asking the admins nicely :)

I pronounce it Noh-kee-ah ... although I don't know where to place the stress, on the "o" or the "i".

Too bad my carrier company Verizon is not participating. It's a CDMA-based company, not GSM, so they're not even part of this GSM Association.

6. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I pronounce it like noh-kee-ARGHHHH because I hate those phones :(

7. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

lol :chk: