Tracking Internet Logs/Computer with two Internet Cards

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Snaze, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Snaze

Snaze Geek Trainee

I am trying to figure out how to set this up. This is how I want it set up.

ISP ---> Computer with two cards (One card connected to the ISP/Modem) (The Second Card goes to the Router) -----> Router------ > network (The network as lots of computers on it.)

With the computer with the two cards, I want to be able to track what people are going to for websites. I want to have it set up this way, so I don’t have to deal with software on their computers. Also this will make the chance of them getting around it a lot harder.

So my question is how I go around setting up the computer with the two network cards, to be able to do what I want.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It sounds like you want a firewall to act as a filtering bridge between your WAN segment and your core network. If the "router" you've mentioned is actually performing NAT and basic firewalling, you probably want to install it like so:

ISP -> Router -> Filtered bridge -> LAN switch

The benefit here is that the filtering bridge will be able to see all of the client traffic directly rather than just the masqueraded IP at the outside of your router. If your topology is too complicated for that kind of setup however (e.g. your router talks to and routes between multiple internal segments), the initial proposal you came up with will have to do:

ISP -> Filtered bridge -> Router -> LAN switch

If you're looking for software to run on your filtering bridge, I think Untangle would be a pretty good fit.

3. Snaze

Snaze Geek Trainee

I have tried the Untangle program before, I was having problems installing it, the software sounds exactly what I need, but I just can't seem to get it installed properly.

Thanks for your help Anti-Trend

4. Anti-Trend

If you download the latest version and go through the installation manual step by step and still have problems, feel free to post here with the specific step you're getting hung up on. The more detail, the better I can help you.

5. Snaze

Snaze Geek Trainee

Thanks Anti-Trend, I will be sure to try that soon. Thank you so much for your help.

6. Anti-Trend

No problem, glad to assist. Let me know how it all works out either way.