Truth about God

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by StimpE, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

And there in lies the problem: you believe in gravity, right? However, this force is intangible. We can't measure it, only the effects it has on mass. You'll never see gravity, but I guarantee you'll know it works if you try jumping off the Tower of London.

Belief does not make something exist or not exist. To some extent, you do have to have faith in things that exist. Try ignoring your senses for awhile and see how you fare.

Jesus can be proven to exist by references outside of the Bible. You have not met Henry VIII, Oliver Cromwell, Adolf Hitler, King Tut, but you would acknowledge they exist despite never meeting them.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

well, yea thats because there is real pictures of most of those people exept for jesus.

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Very well said!

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

We don't have photos of any of those people, we do have paintings. Same with Jesus (although Jesus is more likely to have looked like Osama than Brad Pitt with a beard). Also, there are multiple copies written years, decades, and even centuries apart of the same books that are the same. There are two copies of the works of Plato that have been found, and that's considerably less historical backing that what can be given as far as proof.

This leaves you with really only two possible conclusion:
    1.)Jesus, and the Bible are a complete hoax that's been rolling on for at least 2000 years and been carefully carried out without any sort of flaw by thousands of various people throughout time.

or

2.)Jesus did exist as a man on this planet for a time.

5. Willz

well jesus may have existed, but i dont belive, he feeded 5,000 people with a loaf of bread and that he could heal people, i mean, that just cant be possible, but the thing that makes me think that it could be possible is because, look at the universe, you just cant think, what created the universe, what was here before the universe, it cant of been here forever, so really anything must be possible.

We have some really old videos of Hitler and WW2 so we know he existed.

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i like the points given in the movie dogma, that article is crazy, i feel like i should go get a PHD then come back and read it

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you look at Jesus as simply a man, then, yeah, none of those things were possible (well a few things might've been possible out of coincidence). If you don't believe the claims Jesus made about himself, then yeah, he's a guy that existed about 2000 years ago, who was executed by the Romans. If you take into consideration Jesus claims that he was God, not just simply some Jewish guy, then the supernatural claims and healing he did are more palpable.

We don't have videos of Oliver Cromwell, Christopher Colombus, Plato, dinosaurs...so if you're claiming that something could not have existed because of the lack of video or a photograph, you're going to eliminate much of history prior to the 1800's.

8. Fred

Fred Moderator

That's why it is called a miracle- because it is considered impossible. And as far as Jesus existing, it is not even debated among scholars. Jesus DID exist and we know this not only because of the bible but also because secular scholars like Josephus mentioned him in their writings.

9. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

:eek: You are not wearing any.:eek:hah:

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Read the Bible like you would any book. That will do more wonders than trying to interpert stuff. Don't try to read between the lines, as that's how we've ended up with some really weird stuff. Remember: you can make anything say anything you want if you can twist it the right way.

11. Biofreak101

Biofreak101 Geek Trainee

...He knows to much... Get the real president on the line!

Heh... Well, it's the same way with the theory of evolution. Whn you go to explain it and prove it, the Belivers basicaly stick their fingers in their ears and go "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" I'm just happy that now theres more than one way to put a boot in "gods" ass. This post probably doesent make alot of sence right now, but look deap inside your most hated part of self, and you'll understand. :p

12. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

I personally don't think god exists. I believe there maybe something after we have left this life but i ain't willing to give up days and evenings going to church to sing about it.

so im sitting on the fence on this one.

I believe to disbelieve.

13. Willz

maybe when we die, we go back in time or get reborn on an alien planet, that would be kool, just as long as we could keep all out current memory

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Nobody can prove that God exists 100% positive. On the same token, nobody can prove that evolution happened 100%. We do, however, have data that we think does give creedence to our beliefs. As I've said before, the beliefs we hold do not make God exist or not. This is entirely independent of our beliefs. Think about it: if we start determining what exists and what doesn't simply on the premise of that I believe it or not, you're going to end up with things not existing and existing simutaneously. I don't know how many laws of physics that would break, or other mathematical or scientific ones to boot, but the premise of is quite absurd.

15. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

what Big B said kinda pertains to this article in popular science and a documentary on the discovery science channel about, dark matter, electrons being everywhere and nowhere at the same time, and different dimensions. Some of the things they were talking about kinda distort the all of what we know about god, or even about current life. Anyways its pretty interesting.
    the Standard model, and the Universal theory

16. DuctTapeMan

DuctTapeMan Geek Trainee

seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing...and to big b, you are awsome and I look up to you

17. Addis

Addis The King

It is this very concept of things happening simultaneously, both existing and not existing etc which has been a signature trait of a physics theory called quantum mechanics.

The idea is that until we make a measurement on the property of a quantum system (such as see it ourselves, or press a button to interfere with it) we cannot say at all whether it is in one state or another. This was first demonstrated by the "Schrodingers Cat" scenario if anyone wants to look it up. Amazingly, despite quantum mechanics fiercely contradicting classical Newtonian physics it gives remarkably accurate experimental predictions. So, what do we do with a theory that to some, implies that nothing exists or doesn't exist, or has any other property at all until we measure it ourselves? God knows... the irony...

Anyway, sorry for off topic :).