Two Routers on the same IP range

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by XYZ313, Apr 23, 2010.

1. XYZ313

XYZ313 Geek Trainee

Hello. I am new to router staff, although have enough experience in IT. I already have ADSL modem router on my local network with IP address of let's say 192.168.10.10. But the functions this router provides does not seem enough for me. So I am going to install the second TP-LINK wireless router. Can I assign let's say 192.168.10.11 (the same IP range that my first router is) address to this router or I should assign something like 192.168.0.*? If to use the same IP range are there going to be any conflicts? If yes, what kind? What are pros and cons for the each case?

Another thing is to configure WAN network for the router: my ISP provides me with PPPOA connection, but the router does not have this option. I think that I can use Dynamic IP option, but how should I configure that?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

If your router has an IP address starting with 192.168, then it's a class C network. This means that the first 3 numbers need to be the same on all devices. So if your router uses the IP address 192.168.10.10, then all devices in that network need to be in the 192.168.10.* range.

If you want to use the 2nd router to be able to connect to the Internet, you can set it up by either configuring Access Point on the 2nd router or enter the IP address of your ADSL router in the 'Default Gateway' box of the 2nd router.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hmmm, what are you trying to accomplish? Also, is it possible to configure your ADSL modem as a pure bridge (thus disabling its router features)?