unknown headers (but a clue)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jecht, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

doesnt quite explain in the manual:

what are CHA_FAN header and PWR_FAN headers? regular fans or what

thx

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

CHA_FAN is Chassis fan. PWR_FAN I'm gonna guess Power fan.
    If it's 3-pin, and when you plug your fan into it, it's for a fan. I would not suggest using your motherboard for fan power. Instead use the more meaty, more stable 12v connectors, or 4-pin molex. the ones that connect to your CD-rom, hard drives, whatever.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. The chassis fan would be a case fan. The PWR_FAN is likely setup to simply monitor the RPMs of the power supply fan.

4. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

ok makes sense, considering i just installed my psu, reading that there is an optional wire to hook up to the motherboard to monitor the psu fan/s.

thanks bunches

Another question regarding my fans, my exhaust fan has 2x 4 pin connectors coming from it, and a small yellow 3 pin wire, im guessin the 3 pin wire connects to the mobo, at the Pwr fan header, to monitor its rpm, as in the same scenerio with the psu fan? This fan needs to have both of its 4 pin wires connected? seems like its going to take up all of my molex connectors having 3 case fans, plus my other hardware that needs power. I think im confused at this point.

if sounded confusing, try this quick summary

all 3 of my case fans, have " 2 (4 pin) molex " connectors. Only the exhaust (rear) fan has a 3rd connector, being a small yellow 3 pin connector. Do i have to connect all of these connectors to get my fans to work? just thinking bout it, i think i will have a shortage in molex connectors from my psu
    psu contains

1x 20-pin main power
    1x 6-pin auxilary power
    1x 4-pin +12V power
    5x 4-pin Peripheral power connectors
    2x 4-pin Floppy power connectors
    2x 15-pin sata power connectors
    1x 3-pin fan signal connector

my psu=http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-914&depa=1

im sorry it was so much, you guys are just so helpful to me, thx bunches

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, wouldn't it be silly to have to have a power connection needing to be hooked up for a fan in the power supply? Think about it. ;) Makes alot more sense to hook it up to the power supply directly.

The fans only have a positive (+) and ground (-) lead. The third one is for fan RPM monitoring, and is not necessary to powering the fan. However, it can only be monitored when connected to a motherboard fan header.

6. ninja fetus

Like your fans have one 4-pin molex in, and one out? So it doesn't take up a molex connector, they should have an input, then split off another molex connector to connect more than one item to the power supplie's molex.

Connect your PSU 3-PIN to your motheboard, and your CPU fan to monitor it's rpms. That's it. Don't connect any other fans to it unless you have to. Because your motherboard has limited power, and with 4-pin you can connect your fans to a more meatier more stable power rail.

7. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

im afraid im not really understanding what you guys are saying. although, i understand the 3 pin wire quite well now. my main issue is the fan connections. all of the fans have 2 molex connectors on them, totaling 6 connectors. 2 for every 2 on the power supply, is a little ridiculous, therefore no room, meaning highly unlikely, meaning im lost.

8. ninja fetus

You fans have one 4pin input, one 4pin output. Not 2 inputs. So you can hook up more than one fan per 4pin connector

9. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

ok that makes a lot more sense to me. so basically your saying, i connect the psu molex to the input on the fan, and i can connect another fan to the other connector ( output ) ?

10. ninja fetus

Exactly, that's how I have currently 9 fans running!

11. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

great. thanks a lot guys = )