upgrade

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by drunken cake, Nov 19, 2007.

1. drunken cake

drunken cake Geek Trainee

hello all this is my first post. ive got 300 pound to spend on a upgrade. here are the specs

Intel Core 2 Duo E2140 1.61Ghz

Asus Striker Extreme

OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready or OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400, 800 MHz, Reaper HPC Edition

Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5

is there any problems with this because im not sure about the processor and motherboard compatibility and will my 500w PSU be able to power this thank to anyone the replies

2. eranga262154

eranga262154 Geek Trainee

Is this enough to you :p How about around 2.13GHz. I don't think that it is too expensive.

I think this gives the better performance with Core 2

3. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Yes, the Asus Striker Extreme is a Socket 775 mobo and that proc you have chosen is a 775. It doesn't seem you know too horribly much about hardware and I wouldnt recommend that cpu unless you know how to overclock safely. That mobo is extremely expensive and is an overclockers mobo. Perhaps you would want to find a motherboard that is set for stock running and a proc with a bit faster stock speeds?

4. drunken cake

it was rather the striker extreme or maximus formula or evga nvidia 680i i do plan on to overclock it to 3Ghz or more depends if i can get the money for water cooling im only a noobie when it comes to overclocking:O . and im goin to be buying a 8800gt in January or sooner but im not sure if my 500 watt psu will be able to power all of these components. i was going to go with e6600 but there soo expensive

5. drunken cake

im also going to be upgrading my graphics card but it wont be happening till jan or late december. but theres so many out im not sure soo pls help me :chk:

6. eranga262154

eranga262154 Geek Trainee

Ok put them here. Then people here can review on you.

7. PlugComputers

PlugComputers Geek Trainee

Based on the amount you are spending on the rest of your components, your motherboard seems very high end. The Striker Extreme is about a $300 board, correct? And the E2140 processor is approx. $75. I'm sure you could over clock that processor to 2.3-2.5Ghz, but 3.0 would be pushing it I think, liquid cooling would definitely be a must. Just be careful.

As for the question regarding if 500w would be enough to power everything. I think it would be, assuming you dont add like 3 hard drives, multiple DVD-RW's, ect. It would be plenty to power your motherboard/CPU setup, a DVD Drive, a 8 series GPU, and 1 hard drive safely. You would only need more if you got into an SLI setup, or again, started adding multiple drives.

Let us know how it turns out, we'd be happy to help.

8. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

The 21xx processors processors hit 3.0GHz easily. Even on air, it just has to be a pretty decent aftermarket HSF. I did, however, also think the striker was a strange choice.

9. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

10. zxivate

zxivate Geek Trainee

lol, I have to mention your choice of motherboard and cpu, they are on completely different sides of the spectrum... but anyways if you overclock the processor and have a 8800 your upgrade is something I'm sure you will enjoy. The psu should work through all of that.

11. drunken cake

I do have a 8800GT in my upgrade its just taking longer than i thought to get 190 pound lol and ive just decided to get vista aswell soo it taking even long to get the money and i do plan to overclock the CPU :D

thanks for all your replys:beer:

12. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

O no, don't get vista, stick with XP

13. drunken cake

but XP is expensive. and now i might not be getinng a 8800GT im might go with ATI 3870XT because its cheaper and its just a bit slower than a 8800GT i think lol.

thanks for all your replys:hi2:

14. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

XP is cheaper than vista last I looked... And which card you get doesn't apply to your OS. They work on both OS's, just better on Windows XP. That's why I would just stick with XP.