urgent attention required

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by boot12, Jun 7, 2008.

1. boot12

boot12 Geek Trainee

hello i am now using intel 845glva mother board and p4 processor it does not come with AGP slot.i m looking to add some more graphics support.i was told tht pci cards does not seems to be gud.so i m looking to change my board.which type board is better nowadays?boards of intel with GMA can do the same as tht of a separate graphics card? is it necessary to change my p4 processor while changing to new board?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

As old as that platform is, you're really better off to start off with a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Additionally, given the age of the system a new power supply would also be in order.
    While Intel's GMA integrated graphics do work, if you're interested in gaming, a separate card is better. The GMA are fine for their target market, but it's not in the same class as a standalone card. Additionally, an add-in card has it's own RAM that it uses instead of siphoning off part of the system RAM.

If you simply can't afford an overhaul, look for a motherboard with the Intel 865P chipset. While you won't find them new, you should be able to find them on the likes of eBay.

AGP is better because it doesn't have to share bandwidth with anything else, however, PCI Express has come around recently (this standard is completely different from the PCI bus) and offers benefits over AGP and PCI.
    You can upgrade what you have now, but given the age of the parts, the replacements are going to be harder to find.

Intel currently uses an LGA775 socket. LGA (Land Grid Array) sockets differ from the traditional PGA (Pin Grid Array) in that the CPU pins are located in the Socket rather than the bottom of the CPU. Your motherboard uses mPGA 478 which was succeeded by the current LGA775 socket.

RAM: Your system uses DDR. While not completely dead, it's not being implemented anymore. DDR2 is the current standard, and is also incompatible with DDR. DDR modules use 184-pins and run at 2.5-2.6V, where as DDR2 modules use 240-pins and run at 1.8V, not to mention they're keyed differently so you can't really force them in (without the near certain probability of damaging the motherboard and module).