US Pirate Party

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Addis

Addis The King

A COUPLE OF BLOKES in the US have begun a political party named The Pirate Party.

Inspired by Sweden's Piratpartiet, the would-be politicians say the aim of the party is to "fundamentally reform copyright law, get rid of the patent system, and ensure that citizens' rights to privacy are respected, say its founders.

The Pirates accused "Big Media copyright cartels" like the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America of holding back back technological progress and squishing individual freedoms.

These have used "cut-throat litigation against ordinary Americans", interfered with "peer-to-peer networks by flooding them with bogus files" and corrupted "the political system with unscrupulous lobbying and political donations", the Pirates say. ยต

The Inquirer

You can find the website here: The Pirate Party of the United States

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

LOL If I was an American Id vote for them :D

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yargh they be pillaging an.....

Oh wait different pirates :p

They sound, erm, interesting I must say...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not quite sure I'd jump onboard. I don't think getting rid of the patent system is the best way to go, as it would affect more than simply big business. Having patents are what allowed the little guy to become a millionaire, so getting rid of them may not be a good idea.

Copyright laws probably could use some chages. This nonsense the RIAA wants to pursue with strict stipulations of where you can use it and what devices is insane. Should they be interested in piracy? Yes, they should. What they should NOT be doing is suing grandma who doesn't have a computer or internet connection. That's bullshit right there. They should be concerned with stealing, but they need to stop automatically ASSuming the customer is a criminal. The second thing they need to do is get out musicians that people will pay to listen to. I've listened to some artists that were new to me and purchased the CD because I liked it. That's what the RIAA doesn't get: offer the consumer something they want to buy.

5. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah patent laws are a must IMO

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i'll go along with big b a little the patent laws are some what good, for instance i don't know when it was changed but it used to be that in order to have a patent on something you need a working model but not anymore, its dumb