Very poor 3DMark2001 score ... why???

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by spuff, Feb 17, 2004.

1. spuff

spuff Big Geek

I've got an AMD Athlon 2400+ XP CPU, Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis graphics card and MSI K7N2 Delta-L m/b ... I've just started benchmarking and with 3DMark2001, I got a score of 2093 ... this doesn't mean much to me but in comparison to other people with similar or lower specs, it's extemely poor ... is there something I should know about my graphics card settings or something? I am a newbie to all this so that's why I ask! thanks!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Did you install your chipset drivers? Did you get newer video card drivers? ATi's latest are Catalyst 4.1.

3. spuff

spuff Big Geek

I thought I had the latest version but it would appear I have version 3.10 ... is that bad? I'm gonna download the drivers I think ... right now!

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Make sure you uninstall your current drivers with the catalyst uninstaller. Also, if you had an nvidia card before use drivercleaner.

you should also install your chipset drivers before the catalyst.

P.S. Latest drivers are 4.2

5. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Well, it would appear something as simple as installing the latest drivers slipped by me because I've just done that and now I have a score of 5835!! Whoopsie-daisy!

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's more like it.

7. Plain_Simple

Plain_Simple Geek Trainee

wow you got a 5835 on 3DMark 2001? man my rig must really suck. I get around 6100 with my 9600 np. :rolleyes:

but that's okay. i'll be building myself a new rig around the end of the year or the early months of next year.

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It's likely your CPU (P4~1.7GHz) and your RAM (PC-133) that are bottlenecking your 3D-Mark score. :( But, synthetic benchmarks aren't as important as they're often drummed up to be. It's your actual gaming performance and quality that counts, right?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. The P4 loves memory bandwith, and you're feeding it the slowest stuff you can in the types of memory that can be used. 2nd, you've got the original Willamette core P4 which is basically a pile of crap. Even if it's a Socket 478 chip, I believe that Intel's i865/i875 chipset boards don't support the Willy.

10. Plain_Simple

Plain_Simple Geek Trainee

damn. haha my comp does suck. well, that's why i'm going to be building my uber gaming machine next year when all the new video cards come out. among other things.

oh and i'm not waiting for the new cards so i can buy them, i'm waiting so that the price of the current cards will drop :good:

oh and when PCI-E comes out, will motherboards still support AGP slot-type cards?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depends on the chipset. Right now, the only P4 chipset that will support both PCI-E and AGP is Via's PT890. However, don't expect to see AGP drop out of sight immediately, but if you're not building till late this year/early next, there is likely little sense in staying AGP.

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

HAHAHAHAHA I GOT 7001 on 3dmark01 HAHAHAHA OMFG!!! MY RIG SUCKKKKKKS

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAHAHAHAHA I GOT 7001 on 3dmark01 HAHAHAHA OMFG!!! MY RIG SUCKKKKKKS

i mean, i got 701. not 7001(i wish lol)

14. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

A 3DMark of 701?!?! Geez, what kinda video card do you have?

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A very shitty one.

16. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I vote for a Matrox Mystique 2Mb.

17. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i got: 5894 marks in 3d Mark 2001 running on a :

Duron 1.3 ghz
    m848ALU PCCHIPS
    512mb pc2700 TwinMos
    ATI Radeon 9200SE 128mb

i presume thats pretty good considering nothing was overclocked? (before i totaled the machine)

18. FishyWishy

FishyWishy Geek Trainee

On my old puter i got 800 3D marks, or somewhere in the vicinity, and that was a PIII 450MHz with 320mb pc133 and a TNT2 32mb video card, my old puter rocked, but ohwell i'll have to makedo with the one i have now (refer to Sig) :)