Very strange problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by WWR, Jun 10, 2007.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I'M BACK!!!!!

It's been well over a year since I was last here, and I apologize for my lengthy absence, but life got complicated and at one point I even lost the internet, then this place sorta drifted from my Favourites list. Aaaanyway, I have a problem that is not only strange, but driving me insane, I hope someone can help.

The way it all started was some time ago, about a month I think, suddenly Firefox started locking up, it crashed and wouldn't let me use the 'X' button to close it down, at this time my Start Menu and the corresponding bar refused to respond. So I opened up the task manager, clicked on the 'Processes' tab and firefox.exe was listed and it's CPU usage was about 50. So I clicked the End Process button and it all closed down like it was meant to. I thought this was because of the programs I was running in the background, so I closed everything so Firefox was the only thing on my Start bar. But the problem happened again, and continued to do so for days. At first I didn't think it was that big of a deal but one day it got worse. Firefox crashed as usual and I closed it in the same way, but now my Start Menu still wouldn't respond. I opened up the Task Manager and now explorer.exe was as 50 CPU usage. So I closed that down and then re-ran explorer, everything was fine and I couldn't figure out how that happened. This kept going on for a few days until it was at the stage it is now. When firefox crashes I have to close it and then close explorer.exe EVERY TIME, and now, 9 times out of 10 I then have to restart my PC because when I try and re-run explorer.exe it doesn't even load the Start bar, just goes on the processes list and at 50 CPU usage once again. When I click the restart option from the task manager it then goes through the process of having to end numerous processes, which causes me to press the "End Now" button a vast number of times.

This problem is driving me up the wall, I've run countless virus scans, have a firewall up 24/7, spyware searches, is there anything anyone can suggest is the cause and/or solution to this?

Thanks muchly for any help.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Could be anything, the easiest option would probably be to do a repair install, you can't really take a look under the hood with windows.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

uninstall firefox completely,Not just from add/remove programs but from program
    files the in registry .. Then reboot and reinstall firefox. You can also try
    SeaMonkey..

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, do that, as well as the Seamonkey browser you could try Flock[ot]although i personally haven't used those browsers[/ot]BTW: still do a full uninstall as ghosty suggested, as all free browsers use the same mozilla engine

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Thanks guys. Although I'm not sure it's a problem with Firefox, seeing as IE does it too.

I know, I feel dirty for using IE :doh: but it's helpful to test if Firefox is messing up or not.

But I'll try all the suggestions here. Thanks again. :)

6. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Ok, update and a very strange thing has happened...

My step-dad has been away for the past 2 weeks which means the only things using the internet have been my PC, my 360 and my mum's laptop on occasion. I didn't have a single crash whatsoever. My step-dad came back Friday, and the problems have started up again, do you think it's an issue with him using bandwidth and my computer not having enough?