virus?? or is it!

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by eddieace, Dec 31, 2004.

1. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

it's scanned it twice now but it doesn't remove it! should i be worried?

[​IMG]

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

No this is not a Virus..

This is a Trojan, please read: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_126221.htm

I highly recommend that you download AVG 7.0 and remove Trend Micro, as AVG scans files as they are being run / executed, and is incredibly easy to keep upto date and its free :) You can find it in the Download Zone.

I have to warn you that as this is a Trojan it is highly likely that there is a high risk that any personal / passwords / private / bank / financial information that has ever been on your computer has most likely been compromised.

If you are connected directly to the internet on the PC that the Trojan was found, make sure you have a firewall installed, this will limit the activities of Trojans being administrated by the purportrator. I highly recommend Sygate Personal Firewall.

AVG 7.0 and Sygate Personal Firewall are available from the Downloads Section.

3. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

my pc cillin firewall is de-activated, and so is my XP firewall

my comp and my bro's are running thru a hub now! thought they were decent firewalls on them?

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

When you say your computers are running through a hub you mean that your connected on a network using a hub..?

One of your two computers will be controlling access to the internet, ie one of the computers must be on so the other one can access the internet.

Remove PC Cillin Firewall, it's total crap download Sygate Personal Firewall and install that on the pc that connects to the internet, ie dials up via model/dsl.. if on cable it will just be the pc that has the Cable Modem attached to the PC, or the PC that has to be on for the other computer to have internet access.

When you suggest a hub has a firewall you are getting confused with a router, routers have built in firewalls, however its always a good idea to have a software firewall such as Sygate Personal Firewall.

5. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

hehe!! it's a router!

my bad :)

reason we have the firewalls turned off is cos they wouldn't communicate between each other with them on

6. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

got shut of pc-cillin and just installing AVG 7 now

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

PC-Cillin is actually one of the better anti-viruses out there, believe it or not. It's got one of the most thorough scanning engines of any commercial AV solution. However, trojan/virus writers tend to utilize inherent flaws in the fundamental design of Windows to their benefit. They can actually enforce read/write privileges better than the Windows itself! With some embedded trojans, I've had to boot to a linux distro, such as Knoppix, and remove the virus manually. Even then it can be tricky; you may require a complete reformat due to the nature of your infection.

Good luck,
    -AT

8. Addis

Addis The King

I agree. You can't be sure that your clean if you've had a trojan. Since the trojan itself could have opened other security holes within Windows you can never be sure just how far the extent of the damage is so its best to start over clean with a reformat.