Weird problems :P

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Benedict, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Benedict

Benedict Geek Trainee

Hi!

Im new to these forums, but i guess i should ask about some weird things happening with my comp. I have a pretty old setup, a couple of years now, but i haven't needed to upgrade, because i don't play the latest games that much. Still, i started to try some games from a year or so ago, and my comp just keeps either restarting or crashing to desktop. I think it might be my PSU (a 420w sirtech PSU), but i recently took the whole thing apart and at the same time read through my motherboards manual, in there it says that i have to plugin the 20-pin power connector AND to make the MoBo work correctly, also plugin the 4-pin connector (+12v i think). I know what this 4-pin connector looks like (and my power source has that), but i just can't find one from my Mobo (Asus, A7V880). So is this a fault in my MoBo, if it needs that 4-pin connection, but the MoBo doesn't have one? I think its kinda strange and i don't think this is a warranty issue, coz the MoBo has never had that connection, all my PSUs have got that, but the motherboard just doesn't... :p

Ps. Also, no blown capacitators, all fans are turning and im writing this from the very same comp, but if i try to start a heavy 3d-game, no luck... (Infact, i have a older comp too, with blown capacitators, that works just fine, its 5-8 years old by now :D ). The videocard is the prime suspect, but in my mind the fact, that the MoBos manual demands you to plug the 4-pin power connector somewhere and me having a motherboard of same make and number, that doesn't have that connector, is weird... :D

2. Hyper X

Hyper X Geek Trainee

It could possibly be a power issue Windows tends to act wierdly if it voltages are wrong but thats mainly CPU voltage and voltage problems usually cause a blue screen error.

Have you tried downloading that latest drivers for your video card.

Other option would be to try that video card in another computer to see whether that is the problem.