what temp should a p4 run at?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by eddieace, May 9, 2006.

1. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i think i may have some cooling probelsm on my CPU it's a p4 2.8 with a standard heat sync and cooler. i've just renewed the heat sync paste, and it seems to have helped a little.

on idle now it's sitting at 50

and when under load it gets to 67.5

is this too hot?

i've just bought a vortex tx cooler for it but haven't yet fitted it yet as the board needs to come out for that so i will be buying a new case as well, probably one a little more ventilated than this one.

the chip isn't overclocked, however i would like to in future once i get this cooling issue under control.

and to add to the overclocking it doesn't seem to have the option in bios to do it! i overclocked my 2.0 p4 before this chip was fitted but now it doesn't seem i have the option to do it anymore. even tho 2.0 chip used to drop itself back to standard after a few days which was wierd! :mad:

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Those temperatures you mentioned are a little high,
    but are still on the safe side. The maximum you CPU can withstand
    is 75*Celcius. If this temperature is exceeded, your CPU will automatically throttle it's speed down, sometimes dramatically, until the threshhold is
    reached again. If you haven't already done so, i'd recommend giving
    your heatsink (and everything else) a good clean.

3. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

yeah it's already been cleaned it was running at 72 under load, then when i investigated it there was a blanket of dust over the heat sync, i cleaned it and it only improved by a couple of degree's

so was going to fit the vortex. but then realised the board has to come out so thought balls to it might as well get another case if im gonna do that, its slowly been coming down since

cleaning the heat sync
    placed a 12cm case fan in
    reapplied heat sync paste

just wondering what the norm was

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

Intel has shipped your CPU with the retail H/S which under *ideal conditions should be more than enough for your CPU.

*No overclocking and in a well ventilated case.

Intel have very specific details as to what they conceder ideal.
    You can find it on their site.
    Now, unfortunately as soon as as you put a slight pressure on the CPU it tends to overheat and the retail cooling solution might not be sufficiant.

I have a P4 3GHz prescott which came with the recomended cooling solution.
    It was not bad at first when I just used it for surfing but it still idled at about 50. With pressure it topped 60. :x:

I have switched to AC Freezer but even now it idles at 40-42.
    The problem here is with the case. Not enough fresh air going in and circulating.

Bottom line, unless you get water cooling, changing the CPU cooler is not always the only solution. See if you can better the air flow in your case and I am sure that will nock a few more degrees off.

Good luck.

P.S: Not to panic as pelvis mntioned the Pentium CPU's have very good thermal managment and can look after themselves rather well. However, no point abusing that safety feature.... ;)

5. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i have always thought the case was bad for circulating air.

hence my decision to replace the cpu fan when i get another case something with and inlet flow and outlet flow to help it as best as.

my case at the mo is a standard thing that had no case cooling, but i fitted a 120 cm fan to blow air in when i started to notice the cooling issue

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Good move. Case airflow is very important. The unoffical rule of thumb seems to be if you're hitting 60*C or higher under load (or worse, idle), you need to look at your cooling.

7. Coolerexpert88

Coolerexpert88 Geek Trainee

Wow then my CPU should be melted!:eek: :eek: on idle it stays at 77,5 Celsius!:( :( when gaming i have serious perfomance problems and the games stop i exit and the temp is at 93°!!!!!!!!!I have a serious problem?

8. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

ooooo toasty

i'd check to make sure you've got enough (but not too much) cpu paste on your heatsync.

and get a better heatsync and fan. and cooler case maybe.

the beauty of the p4 is when it does get too hot it'll slow itself so not to cause damage, unlike amds

9. mut

mut Geek Trainee

My CPU currently idles at 50*Celcius and jumps to around 62*Celcius on load.
    This is a Sony Vaio computer.
    CPU: 2.00GHz - overclocked to 2.26.
    I Can overclock to 2.45GHz but the CPU then idles at around 60*Celcius.
    I also notices that my CPU didn't even come with a fan!

No point buying one now, I'm building a new system soon.

10. Coolerexpert88

Coolerexpert88 Geek Trainee

New record temperature for my CPU i submitted a question to intel:ans:,if they will not help me i will sell My pentium and get an Athlon 64:stupid: