which o/s should i use??

Discussion in 'General Software' started by shutton54321, Mar 21, 2006.

1. shutton54321

shutton54321 Geek Trainee

have had lots of problems with windows xp so thinking about changing operating system, is ubuntu any good i know its free but..., and when is windows vista coming out and should i wait to buy this instead???

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Windows Vista will be the most bloated operating system in history. It'll be riddled with flaws and security holes! You'll need top dollar hardware to run it, which is just wasteful of older computers. Especially considering Linux operating systems will run fine on a Pentium 3. And Linux is better anyway....

Have a look here :
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/linux-general-faq-8142/

And here
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/version-linux-best-newbie-4590/

Personally I use SuSE Linux 10 and I'm very satisfied with it. Most of the Linux users in this forum use Mandriva, and if you talk to AT he'll have you using it in a snap :D

3. Addis

Addis The King

As always be prepared to learn some new things, but if you can live without some of your windows programs (most have alternatives for Linux) and take our advice you'll be using a more secure, free and generally better OS in Linux.

Ubuntu is highly regarded, and although not personal experience with it (yet) you should be fine for the most part. You can order CDs free from Ubuntu site or download the .iso files and use Nero or other burning software to create the CDs.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Not eally a good reason to change. What were the problems?
    They could be solved or helped.
    Windows is by no means a perfect system but it has its advantages.
    Switching is not going to be a walk in the park.
    Alternatives might be free but will requier a lot of patiance and learning.

Tat, tat you do not use 'and' after a comma... :D
    Only joking...

Once you have decided on the direction, then you can ask yourself whether to have a version which has had a lot of problems and bugs 'fixed', or go with a new version which might still have some teething problems and will require regular patching and updating.

Personaly, although I have installed and use Linux successfuly, I am still using Windows for some purposes.

Last but not least -
    If you switch you will rot in hell for ever!!!
    :jump2: :devil: :jump2:

5. Addis

Addis The King

What was the last bit about saba?

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot] I am not sure... it all seem like a blur. I think the spirit of Bill went into my body while I was typing.... :dsmile: [/ot]

7. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

It is if he's running Windows...

Can't think of many....

Harder then learning to ride a bike, that's for sure.. It'll take blood, sweat and tears. It can almost make you feel suicidal trying to learn... :D

Hehe, it's not that hard really....