Which one is too bad, Pentium Celeron on IV?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by eranga262154, Jun 4, 2007.

1. eranga262154

eranga262154 Geek Trainee

If this question is stupid one to you, I’m really sorry.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Is there higher possibility to stuck a Pentium Celeron system rather than Pentium IV, because of the malfunctioning of a program or anything else, depending on the cache memory?

And also, I think that even Celeron has around 512 KB cache memories it doesn’t cause much effect in lower clock speed CPU.

What guys your comment on this…..

2. zeus

zeus out of date

Some of the Celerons are better than the P4s so choosing a P4 over a Celeron wont always resolve problems thought to be caused by the CPU. To be honest its quite unlikely a program error will be caused by the CPU, not unless the CPU is faulty.

As for your second question I really dont how performance of the CPU is effected by the relationship between clock speed and the cache. I would imagine a higher clocked cpu (or at least one with a higher MIP value.... lets not start a MIP argument!) would benefit from a larger cache but thats purely my speculation.

I hope I was barking up the right tree!

3. eranga262154

Ya pal, I agreed with you. And also is there a higher possibility for over heat on Celeron than P4.

A lot
    :D :D :D

4. zeus

zeus out of date

The Celeron is based on various Intel cpus.... ie you can get Celerons which are cut down versions of a Pentiums 2 (like I have), they also make Celerons based on Pentium 4s.

There are a few different types of Pentiums 4s. The Prescott core generally runs hotter than the Northwood core. So if you get a Celeron based on a Prescott Pentium 4 it is quite likely it will run hotter than a Northwood Penitum 4.

And vice-versa, a Prescott core Pentium 4 will usually run hotter than a Celeron based on a Northwood core.

So it is possible that a Celeron will run hotter than a Pentium 4, but not a general rule.

5. eranga262154

Ok. I got the point.