Which ram,???

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Mack, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Mack

Mack Big Geek

I am looking to buy ram for my barebone AMD 3500+. I have read reviews of the crucial ballistix series, OCZ plantium series, and Crosair XMS series. I left out kingston hyper X as i heard that it is not that good.
    However, after reading all the reviews it is still very tought to make a decision, so i just wanted to what do you guys think is the better one. All of them show approximately the same results in all the tests and have good reviews.
    Moreover, I was thinking that isnt' it better to buy a 1GB stick than 2X512 sticks.
    My buget would be around $250.

2. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

All of the brands you named are very good, including Kingston. The only problem with Kingston is that it is very overpriced. It really depends on whether you intend on overclocking. If you are there is, from what I've read, nothing better than G. Skill, if you can lay out the $$$. And about having one stick instead of 2, that's where you are wrong. Having 2 sticks doubles your bandwidth using a feature called dual channel. If you have a 939 motherboard then I gaurantee you that it supports dula channel. But the one thing you need to do before you buy is check your motherboard manufacturer's website and make sure the RAM you intend to buy is compatable.

3. Mack

Mack Big Geek

What is the G stuff,.. i didn't get it,..
    As for over-clocking,.. i doubt, i am going to do it,..
    The Nforce4 mother board supports upto 4gb of ddr400 ram, and it has 4 slots,.. then 1 gb per slot.

Regarding the Hyper transport issue, i wanted to say 2 X 1gb as compared to 2 X 512. I will save 2 slots for future upgrades,..

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yes but that is only if you want 4 gigabites in the furture. By the time that much memory is reasonable for a desktop computer you will need higher speed RAM (or maybe DDR2). G. Skill is a brand of RAM, made by Samsung. It is known for it's overclocking capabilites. And just so you know, Hyper Transprot is a competely different technology from Dual Channel.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea 2 gigs of RAM is completely unneeded for a gaming computer. You only need that much RAM for graphics and video manipulation.

7. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

though getting two gigs is rapidly becoming the norm for some reason, people waste their money IMO, and I'm one of them, nah I got a gig, and got another for free

i just lucked out

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

How much of a performance boost do you think you see? The only ordinary case I see where 2 gigs is reasonable is BattleField2, for some reason that game is a total ram hog and appreciates 2gigs.

9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

also not to be off topic or controversial (since there were numerous arguements over what I'm gonna say) but more RAM will also allow newer OSs to run better AKA longhorn or other

and future games will also be RAM hogs, which is why also the GPU industry is increasing RAM quantities in GPUs

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

AKA 7800GTX Ultra 512MB.
    Thanks.

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yes, Longhorn will like 2 gigs but by the time Longhorn comes out you're probably going to have to have DDR2 to match the motherboard. And also, by the time it comes out, RAM prices will be waaaaaay down, making it worth it to wait.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'm waiting for XDR2 myself.

13. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

ex i bet we first have to wait until amd respins its memory core

otherwise the system will crash at that high of speeds

14. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, when AMD supports DDR2 it will definately be nice.

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

it would be good later because by then ddr2 will have a good boost over ddr

16. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, games and such will start to take advantage of it like they are taking advantage of 64 bit now.

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

and multithreading (whistles in awe)

somethin tells me 3DMark07 will be rape to us

18. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hahaha, thats why I hope I'll have someting better by 07.

19. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

ditto here, sli 6800GTs will stand nothing against it, get some 10fps hopefully haha

20. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Speaking of FPS, I need to go post my CS:S Stress Test results.