Windows 7 Preview.

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by FearisFailure, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jvc08

jvc08 Geek Trainee

i too was thinking about the same thing. ms is making windows changes, to make it look like a linux and have more mac features. i like that, it's about time.

2. lordzehyn

lordzehyn Geek Trainee

I think we should all just install Windows 7 on decent machines.

If you want to install it on an outdated Pentium 4 with 512MB of RAM you're asking for slowness.

XP glides along now because its an OS that's been around for nearly 8 years. I'm sure when Vista / Windows 7 get to that age, they'll be smooth as silk as well.

I've had virtually no problems with Vista so far (apart from the dreaded disk thrashing) because i've made sure I install it on a halfway decent box. Windows 7 is even smoother.

My box is a PowerEdge 1800 with a RAID-0 (2 x 15krpm SCSI drives), dual Xeons and 3/4GB RAM depending on whether I use a GB in another box. I have modded one of the PCIe ports to accomodate a 16x GeForce 8600 series graphics card with 1GB of onboard memory.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

It's not a terribly modern box (its getting on for 3-4 years old, but it has a good spec).

If you wanted to build a similar box it'd cost less than £800 with bits bought off ebay.

I remember when XP first came out and people were trying to get it going on 64mb RAM and whinging. Its the same nonesense all over again.

I say calm down, stop slagging off The Microsoft and wait til Windows 7 is out.

Peace.

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

My laptop (AMD Turion 2GHz and 2GB RAM) runs Windows 7 just like XP runs on it, nice and fast :) Vista however, doesn't run nicely on either my desktop or laptop!

I don't think it's to do with age... Windows ME (mistake edition) is about 9 years old now, and that still doesn't run well on anything (stability-wise).

If people adopt Windows 7, then Vista will probably [hopefully] stop being used, and Microsoft will have no need to try and speed it up with Service packs and whatnot.

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

eh? :confused:

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i can't believe i'm doing this

if you separate WinMe accross about 7 partitions
    (e.g. boot partition - the only primary partition,Windows partition - containig windows dir & most sub dirs, program files dir partition, swapfile partition, settings partition, data partition & disks partition, but most people couldn't be bothered to make Me rock solid stable on an AMD k6-2 500 & 192MB

i did this before even tried Linux, i was actually inspired by how little i knew about Linux to help me create what i call MS Lindows & and she's still happy and running today (albeit slow, but, come on it has being running about 8 years with no maintanance, but, the BIOS battery has being replaced)

for the record, Vista SP2 is Windows 7

debuging HWF is a b1tch

6. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

:confused::confused:

Maybe I've just misunderstood what you've posted?

You put a quote from me, then "I can't believe I'm doing this", followed by "If you seperate ME across about 7 partitions", and that was about it

?? :)P)

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

fixed now, debugging is a b1tch, i'll delete a few nonsense posts, deleted

8. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

No, Vista is a very early alpha build of Windows 7. It's more like a placeholder between XP and 7, so MS can receive more money to pay the fines of the EU :D

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

in my opinion EVERY version of Windows is a beta release, or as you say "a very early alpha build"
    typical

when Vista SP2 comes, so will 7

BTW: personaly don't believe MS

10. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Well yes, of course Vista and 7 will run smooth as silk, with all the powerful hardware that will come out 8 years from now :doh:

11. HardwareAffair

HardwareAffair Geek Trainee

I've been running Vista 64 since Sept, and I have yet to come across any issues. The only major annoyance is the constant popups which I need to disable one of these days. Is it really necessary when renaming a simple file to first confirm this operation and then ask for permission? I'm not launching a nuclear strike here, I'm just renaming a file.