Windows 8 Developer Preview.

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Willz, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Has anyone got their hands on this? I've seen quite abit of Windows 8 and it certainly looks interesting, some for the better, some for the worst.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have it and tried it, I don't like it myself..It is mostly made for touch screen and does not work to good with keyboard and mouse.. they change things around from windows 7, but it still seems like windows 7 to me.. But this is just my opinion..

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

In what way does it not work with keyboard and mouse? Does the quicker boot/restart time, lower memory usage, better memory management not have any appeal? Also did you know there is a registry hack to enable the Windows 7 style start menu?

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I tried it but it was on a virtual machine, so experience was some what downgraded but still pretty good.

I think in the future; more and more people will own something like a tablet, thats where the windows 7 interface would work great. Tablets it can pretty much do anything a PC can do;
    • Word processing: I sure you can get a app/wireless keyboard and your done.
    • Gaming: pretty decent games but there will always be people wanting the latest PC to play on Max settings etc
    • Videos: Can play them/or stream/output them to TV
    • Music: same as above
    • News/Videos (Film Trailers): http://flipboard.com/
    Considering I'm not much of gamer these days, the only reason I really need access to my Mac is so I can code/multitask/ and consume RSS feeds. I might get the next iPad so only reason remaining would be to code. Thats all based on my personal experience, so theres probably things I've missed out and not considered :)

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I've been playing with the consumer preview of Windows 8 for a few days now. The desktop bit looks good, but I absolutely hate the Metro bit. Why would I want to run fullscreen applications on a 27" screen for example? Waste of space. Been modifying it to my needs, so removed most of the tiles in Metro and added a shutdown button on the task bar. Also installed Winamp (why would I need a Microsoft account to play music with the built-in music player?). Don't get me wrong, the Metro interface is great for tablets. I might even want to trade my iPad with one of those. I've added some screenshots of my current setup :)

Attached Files: