Windows Is So Slow, but Why?

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by megamaced, Mar 29, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Below is an article published by the New York Times. It summarises the troubles facing the Vista delay, and the stiff competition from Linux and Apple

Back in 1998, the federal government declared that its landmark antitrust suit against the Microsoft Corporation was not merely a matter of law enforcement, but a defense of innovation. The concern was that the company was wielding its market power and its strategy of bundling more and more features into its dominant Windows desktop operating system to thwart competition and stifle innovation.
    Eight years later, long after Microsoft lost and then settled the antitrust case, it turns out that Windows is indeed stifling innovation — at Microsoft.

This story is continued here

2. Addis

Addis The King

The only way to properly address the current problems is to rewrite windows completely. Making it more Unix like would be a start, with secure user accounts and probably making the whole OS less monolithic would help. m2c

3. megamaced

Which is exactly what the article pointed out. There is too much legacy code in Windows, which the newer versions inherit for the sake of compatibility with older software/hardware. As a result, Windows is a complex mess of code and I don't envy to poor programmers at Microsoft!

Apple pulled it off with OS X, and they have a smaller workforce and budget.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Code:
    format /s C: [Windows]
    edit Win_From_Scratch.c
    Code:
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
        std::cout << "Hello, world!\n";
    }

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Microsoft will have to pay a lot while repairin VISTA coz it will be the most coplicated windows ever they created...... ~!

6. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

My main beef with Vista is that you need over 512mb of RAM. NEED 512. That's total BS.
    Karan, I can never understand a sentence you type lol. AT, was that an attempt at a joke? :p

7. Karanislove

Thats cool, I can write any bullshit to you and you will never understand..lol~!

8. Addis

Addis The King

You forgot the
    Code:
    make solitaire_src
    :D

9. megamaced

What does your average computer user want to do with their computer? Browse the internet and write documents. Do you need a 3.0GHz CPU and 1GB RAM to do that? No of course not! All of that hardware is going to get wasted just because of Vista's bloat. Older hardware is going to get scrapped because it can't run Vista, yet it's perfectly adequate for internet and office when running XP or Linux.
    My computer is only two years old, and it's not going to be able to run Vista. Am I going to upgrade it? Why should I? It's more then enough for my purposes, and it runs SuSE Linux flawlessly

[ot]
    I'm with you on that StimpE :D[/ot]

10. Karanislove

[ot]
    Ok ok!....I will try to improve. By the way, what you guys exactly doesnt understand; whole senteces or couple of words?
    [/ot]

11. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

"Windows Is So Slow, but Why?"

Hmmm... is this a trick question? :p