Windows Live Custom Domains - Free Email Hosting

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Nov 21, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

A new service was added to the Windows Live Beta family today - Windows Live Custom Domains. The basic idea is that anyone with a domain can now point their MX record to the Live servers. What that means is that users can have Microsoft's servers hosting their own domain's email accounts for free. There's a restriction of 20 email accounts per domain, with each mailbox getting 250MB of space.

In addition, the same account functions as a Passport account, and can be used to sign in to MSN Messenger, MSN Spaces etc. I'm assuming users also get access to the spiffy, new AJAX-enabled Windows Live Mail Beta service as the webmail frontend for all their accounts, although that isn't explicitly mentioned anywhere on the site. The team that's working on this also has an official blog, just like all the other Live teams do.

View: Windows Live Custom Domains

Source: Neowin.net

2. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

How exactly would this benefit anyone? Last I checked, hotmail already gets 250mb of storage. People that have their own domains can probably make their own email accounts.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[email protected], courtesy of MS. Of course, if you have your own domain what's stopping you from hosting your own mail? Meh, somebody, somewhere was happy when they heard this news.

4. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Wow, thanks Microsoft for this wonderful feature I'm sure everyone around the globe will use :p

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well like I said, somebody will find this feature useful. It's not me, but somebody. If you don't want to or can't host your own mail services (think small office / home office), this might be helpful.