WTF Could be Wrong Here?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jknowsmore, Nov 25, 2011.

1. jknowsmore

jknowsmore Geek Trainee

I've built quite a few computers. The other day my roomie plugged one too many things into the circuit my box is on and tripped the breaker and then reset it. The computer went down and wouldn't even post.

I could see that the light on the motherboard shows that there is power there, I figured a PSU failure not likely. The mobo was the prime suspect, so replaced it and bought new RAM (the board I wanted needed DDR3 intead of DDR2). Still the same thing, no post, no fans, nothing. I figured the CPU was the next likely thing, so switched out with the older one I recently upgraded from (AMD X3 720 to X6 1100T) Still nothing. Switched out the PSU, still nothing!

WTF? The only thing left would have to be the HD, but that doesn't explain not posting and no fans coming on.

Any ideas?

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Geek

Why not?

It could well be that the circuit breaker trip could have damaged the PSU and although it may appear to look ok is in fact not supplying the correct voltage that is needed.

3. jknowsmore

jknowsmore Geek Trainee

Right, but I switched it out as the last thing with one from a box that has been laying around awhile for spare parts, but I'm pretty sure the PSU was good. I'm thinking you are probably right though, I mean, what else could it be?

4. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Geek

But you said you switched out the CPU not the PSU.

Edit: I reckon the board is faulty.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Either the PSU or it popped the motherboard..

Wolfeymole likes this.
  6. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Geek

I agree Ghost.

7. jknowsmore

jknowsmore Geek Trainee

Right - as I said, I bought a new mobo & memory and swapped out a known good CPU to eliminate that as the cause, so it has to be the PSU - The one I tried to swap out must also be bad. Both Thermaltake 650W.

8. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Geek

Shit happens JK and it won't be the first time that another PSU has been faulty.

Was the swap out a new PSU?

9. jknowsmore

jknowsmore Geek Trainee

No, used from a box that got messed up in moving/shipping. the drives let go of their moorings and wrecked the mobo, so it's been sitting for parts. I think it was working, but perhaps not. It's been 3 yrs.

10. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Geek

I'll bet my ass it's the PSU that's faulty mate and for the price they are these days you might as well buy a new one.

11. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I agree Wolf !!!