XFX 790i ultra and 6800GT (No Boot)

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by simon2009, Mar 14, 2009.

1. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

Hi'

I just brought a 790i Motherboard and i cant get it to display any video signal, if i post my system spec could someone please tell me if i have a compatibility issue or a dud motherboard.

PSU = 800w sata
    CPU = Pentium D 920 3Ghz
    GPU = Palit 8600GT Super+1GB
    Ram = 4Gb DDR3 1330Mtz
    Motherboard = XFX 790i

When everything is attached to the Motherboard all the fans come on and the Diagnostic Code Displays reads FF and the monitor displays nothing at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Im thinking that my GPU is not the correct flavour for this new pci-e 2.0 but i really don't no.

2. Dartht33bagger

Dartht33bagger Geek Trainee

Do they even make the 6800GT in PCI-E 2.0? I would think it would have only been made for PCI-E 1.0. Might cause issues if that is true.

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, I used to have a EVGA 680i and when the board was working it displayed FF that means that everythin is working fine its completed a post. check your vga cable isnt loose? Or Could be your monitor dude try another monitor if you got one spare.

4. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

Ya i made a mistake in the title its actually a Palit 8600GT Super+1GB

5. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

The monitor is working ok so is the gpu and the cpu as im using them now in my old system.

I did read somewhere that the 790i had a pci-e 1.0 port and 2 pci-e 2.0 ports i don't see anything in the manual about there being a pci-e 1.0 port tho.

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

motherboards faulty then dude. RMA it.
    no you board is a 790i its all PCI -Express 2.0

7. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

I hope its not my motherboard :(

So if the 790i is only pci-e 2.0 and if my gpu is 1.0 then this could be my problem?

8. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, your card is PCI-Express 2.0 even if it was PCI-Express 1.0 it would still work because its backwards compatible. And you say it all works in your old system, then i would say your motherboard is faulty, it does happen and annoying i know.

Another thing you could try checkin is to see if your reset cmos is not set to clear. other than that i would say its probably a problem with your bios and have to RMA it.

9. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

cmos is not set to clear :( so this is looking bad ( i brought the board from a ebay seller it was new and had not been opened. looks like my nightmare begins.

I've tried both the DVI ports and both do the same (no vid signal)

Ive not tried the card in any other pci-e port only the primary one.

not sure if these motherboards have a built in speaker but i don't hear any beeps on boot/post.

10. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, if you do try the pci express x16 card in the other pci express x16 slots it will just tell you to use the first slot, but your not even getting to the bios. yea not all board beep when posting mine doesn't. I had the exact same problem you did, i bought a Asus 790i off ebay worked for about 20 mins then that was it, wouldnt post anymore. it was the motherboard faulty. all you can do really is RMA the board cuz the guy on ebay will want nothing to do with it, but i learned from my mistakes never buy a motherboard off ebay.
    try getting in touch with XFX, and tell them you want to RMA the motherboard. because it will be a faulty board.

BTW: have u already left feedback to the guy on ebay? if not threaten him with negative feedback if you don't refund the money if you paid by paypal.

11. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

Thanks for all this help buddy i appreciate it.

Ive not left feedback yet no.
    i brought MB, Ram and Xblade case all at the same time and ive only left feedback for the ATX Case.

Just to make sure its the motherboard ill type exactly what i brought.

4 GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 MHz Samsung memory
    NEW XFX 790I ULTRA SLI DDR3 1600MHZ FSB SO MOTHERBOARD
    SILVER X-BLADE SILVER PC TOWER CASE 800w WATT SATA PSU

and im using my older parts as follows

Pentium D 920 3Ghz
    Palit 8600GT Super+1GB
    Pioneer DVD-+RW
    250Gb sata HD

12. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

1. your motherboard supports your processor pentium D socket 775.
    2. your ram ddr3 is supported.
    3. your graphics card Nvidia 8600gt Pci-express x16 is supportted.

So dude it's gotta be motherboard. I bought a AMD bundle from maplins electronics the motherboard was faulty, corrupt bios. It was brand new in box, so it does happen.

hope you get it all sorted in the end. good luck dude

BTW: if the guy on ebay asks you to return it for a replacement, make sure you send it recorded. cant trust anyone these days.

13. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

Im gutted it was all my paypal funds to get the 3 things mb, case & ram :(

i don't want to get another one of these mb now as its left me with doubt and ill always think its going to fail.

Ill see what the ebay guy wants to do and don't think there be a replacement as it looked like he just had this one for sale.

BTW what does the "thanks" button do in these post. is it a button for saying thanks to ppl for helping me?

Anyway you have been a great help buddy thanks for that and you take care.

Kind Regards

14. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hey man that board is a quality board, high end specification.
    yea i understand how you feel, its a pain, but it does happen some motherboards do arrive faulty unfortunatly.

yea i think that thanks button means thanks for helpin.

no probs for the help dude hope you get it all sorted. good luck

15. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

Ya i know its quality bud but it needs quality components to match and its just not in my price range i feel like i brought a Aston Martin engine to put in a Morris Minor.

the thing is ive really looked into this problem and seen some scary post like ppl saying the 790i is very particular on what memory it will except and ppl saying there getting bsod for no reason and a lot of ppl saying the comos chip was faulty also ppl have had no video display which is my problem and that's all made me think ill be better of with a 2 way sli system that is a bit less dedicated to the quality components needed.

ive got my eye on a ASUS P5E3 AiLifestyle Series - motherboard - ATX - iX38 - LGA775 Socket.

What do you think? good idea?

Its pci-e x16 on both ports and my 4gb ddr3 ram will work also my cpu :)

16. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yea that Asus P5E3 is a nice motherboard, Intel chipset as well, which are solid boards, i personally prefer Intel chipsets over nforce chipsets. I've noticed they are alot more stable and north and southbridges run alot cooler than nforce chipsets.

My mate has the same motherboard you have XFX 790i, he seems ok with it, but he also told me his north and southbridges inc mosfet voltage regulators run really hot thsts without overclocking. I noticed the same with my Evga 680i my mpc southbridge was 67c
    Idle and northbridge was 60c idle which is just crazy had to replace both north and southbridge heatsinks.

The current board I have Now Intel chipset runs at 30C Idle, nothing changed standard north & soutbridge heatsinks.

So yea if your gonna get a new motherboard thst Asus one is a really high end spec.

17. simon2009

simon2009 Geek Trainee

Ho no dont tell me that haha
    just contacted the ebay guy and he said if i return it he will get it tested and if faulty send me out a replacement lol, so i could be stuck with the 790i after all which is good and bad because i really got the hots for that Asus now i know its a good choice. lol

18. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hey, can you not tell the guy you want a refund? the thing is though im not 100% sure the X38 chipset supports SLI. don't know if anyone on the forum can confirm it does??

19. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

20. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

sounds like to much messing around to me, do you think your not better getting a replacement Nforce 790i? then your guranteed to work in SLI. because i take it in the future you wanna go SLI? It will work with one Nvida card though not two because SLI is not supported from what i read but ATI crossfire is (two ati cards)