XP to Vista network problems

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Crusha19, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

My problem is that the XP computer cannot see the Vista computer, and the Vista computer can only kind of see the XP machine. I can ping the XP from vista but not the other way around. XP doesnt show up on the vista network map but if i enter the ip address of the xp machine i can access the shared files that are there.

I have the LLTD protocol installed on the xp machine. I have changed the LmCompatabilityLevel to 1. There are no software firewalls other than windows firewall running on both machines.

Now I will tell you about my physical set up. I have a DSL modem that is connected to a router. From this router I have a cable that connects to xp. I have another cable that is connected to a wireless router. The vista machine connects through this router.

The vista machine does not show up at all on the xp machine. If i go to my network places all that is there is the xp computer.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or is it just not possible for this to work?

2. Razor64

Razor64 Geek Trainee

:cool: Hello! maybe a bit late on this but your going through two routers! the only thing that springs to mind is try running both operating systems through ONE router i.e...modem to one router & use that router as a switch! (unless of course your second pc ' vista' is 100 miles or so away?) as both pc's would have to be 'hard' wired me thinks!.not sure if this helps but as I didn't notice many replies if any thought I'll give a bit of input!..........let us know on this!..

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Just an addition and for anybody else having LAN problems with XP and Vista

I am on Vista x64 Ultimate as of 3 days ago, and to share printers and files properly, turn off password requirement. It makes life much easier when trying to install LAN printers from the XP machine when the printer is on the Vista one.

4. Razor64

Razor64 Geek Trainee

Hi! In respect to my last 'post' me thinks I misunderstood a fraction (youR on about sharing!)..hey! nevermind but saying that,I think Rimmer has a good point!......TWO routers?? that still mystifys me!!!...maybe rimmer could give us a shout!........

5. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

Yeah I am using two routers because the wired one was already there and I have a laptop with vista on it now. So what I am doing is using the wireless router as an access point. But I dont think that is the problem because I can see files from the xp machine in vista if i enter the ip address in the bar.