Christmas upgrade flying around the corner..

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Willz, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Matt, if it would not be too much trouble, do you think you could find some comparison, i am not vv god at finding stuff like this, and usually if its in front of me i dont see it.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx
    Look on that and select AMD Athlon 64 from the first drop down menu, then there will be all the Single Core Athlon 64 Models, just find what ones you want check the compare box then click "Compare Selected Items" at the bottom of the list.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

4. Willz

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Nice dude, in gameing tests it barely trails the 3800+ for the most part:)

6. Willz

kool, how far ahead in gamiing is the 3500+ compared ot my current processor?

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Here's a good read: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/28cpu-games.html
    Gives you a feel for what current procs can do, so yeah the 530 (P4 3.0GHz) is usually near the bottom but since you're upgrading it's cool to see how much better the 3500/3200's fare. And man is Call of Duty 2 a GPU hog!

8. Willz

is that really fps, so your saying, with my current processor on battlefield 2, if i get 192 fps, with the 3500+ i will get 333fps?

also, stock AMD coolers are not loud are they?

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I doubt those are fps, unless it's a very small time demo or something, maybe it's a point based system for BF2 or something? In my opinion AMD's stock cooler was fairly quiet, I mean I never had the chance to put it under load but at least it's not always roaring.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

There's very few motherboards that meet your criteria, and there's several that I wouldn't recommend, like anything from Epox, although the 9NPA+ series is your best bet for what you want and probably within your price range.

Jetway, Chaintech, and Soltek also have boards that'll do what you want, but I'm not sure of the availability or tweaking of these boards.

The DFI NF3 Ultra-D could work, but that's a pretty rare bird, so I don't know if you find it.

My opinion: Grab an nForce 4 board like the Chaintech VNF4 Ultra that's cheap and has some decent tweaks after you've saved the money to change to a PCIe video card.

If you went with a Socket 754 rig, you'd have an easier time, and quite honestly, if you're not going to go to Socket 939 and PCIe together, your best to stay with what you have or do an AGP/Socket 754 setup instead.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

But Gigabyte isn't really a company I'd look at for overclocking, however, barring that, it would be a good option in all other respects.

12. Willz

i have made up my mind :D, skt 939 3500+ and gigabyte K8NSC, seems like a nice board.

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

As BB said it won't be the best OC'er but for the price it will still give good results. Have fun man.

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah have fun with shiney new components! (Maybe not shiney but you get the idea!)
    :D

15. Willz

:p, what do you mean it wont be the best overclock ever, are you implying that the gigabyte motherboard will not be able to sustain the cpu at 2.6ghz?

16. Addis

Addis The King

Not so much sustain, but get the CPU to that frequency anyway. Some motherboards are oc friendly and are quite flexible with FSB speeds, while others aren't. Abit are traditionally good overclockers, as is DFI LanParty series for overclocking/gaming.

17. Willz

so what makes the motherboard i am getting bad at overclocking?

18. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Gigabyte does not cater to overclocking, and therefore, higher voltages and extensive memory tweaks aren't something you tend to find on their motherboards. This isn't to say you can't overclock, but if you look at the highest overclocking motherboards on the market at any given time, Gigabyte isn't on the list.

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Don't worry though, as B said, it's not like you can't get decent OC's with it. I mean it wouldn't surprise me if people using the same board have brought the same processor you'll have to higher speeds, it's just that you shouldn't expect getting it there with the same ease as a more OC friendly board. Still it's very possible so fret not dude:)

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While Gigabyte may not be the overclocking king, unlike some companies I know *cough*Epox*cough* they actually seem to start off with stable designs first with overclocking playing second fiddle.