How to find out the fastest possible CPU speed your motherboard can support.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by djscott77, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you can get a good enough deal than it's definately worth it. Especially so for games. However, don't expect to see a big difference for normal system performance.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's providing you don't have something else holding the system back, like your video card.

3. Anti-Trend

Yeah, that's definately true. I was just referring to the added L2 cache being a big performance booster for games. Even if you don't get any more FPS, you'll have less studders in gameplay.

4. shawncy

shawncy Geek Trainee

Thanks, I'll look into it further. I have upgraded my video card with a nvidia with 128mb ddr, not sure of model number at this time.A few other upgrades so far include 512mb sdram and an 80 gig hard drive, cd-rw/dvd rom, and sound card. Things are running smoother now , but may look more into a bios upgrade and the cpu too.. What do you think? Also, I used the ultra wincleaner the other day , it made a right mess out of my system, ADVISE:Don't use a registry tool if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You can use driver cleaner to do that. ( I suppose you were trying to delete every leftovers from your previous drivers).

It's easy to use and you basically have nothing to do for it to work.

6. shawncy

shawncy Geek Trainee

one last question. I mentioned my board to be a sis730 830ch(indicated on the tag by the dimms) would the rev number be with the 830ch indication too? If not where can I find the rev #? I can't remember where I found the rev number and want to be absolutely sure I have all info before upgrading my bios.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The 830ch...is that printed on the motherboard? If so, that's likely the number.

8. shawncy

shawncy Geek Trainee

yes a small white tag.

9. shawncy

shawncy Geek Trainee

I went with the rev 2.0 only because on the jetway site the rev 2.0 was the only one that could handle my 1.3 duron.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The 830CH is the motherboard .

11. shawncy

shawncy Geek Trainee

Sorry if I ask again.. where can I find the rev# if there is one? Is it on the same spot as the 830ch??

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Possibly, but it might be between the PCI and AGP slots.

13. saraw

saraw Geek Trainee

any response?

I have same motherboard but don't know manufacturer - have you had any responses? do you know the display adapter for this board by any chance?

14. Anti-Trend

Judging by the limited info, I surmise that your motherboard is a Jetway 830CF/CH. It has the same BIOS, same revision schema, same chipset. And often Jetway don't label their motherboards, in keeping with remaining as generic as possible. If it's not a Jetway it could be a PCChips board, but I'd put my money on Jetway.