Ram for A64+ 3200

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Gh0sTRaiD, Dec 16, 2004.

1. coloradoadam

coloradoadam Geek Trainee

Take it to the BST forum.

-B

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm going to say this once, coloradoadam: If you want to sell your parts, take it to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. If you do, you are required to have a non-free e-mail account which you must post...meaning that free Yahoo address isn't acceptable for trading here.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

As for the memory.. PC4400 runs at 550Mhz.. you can't up your FSB to 550Mhz..

550Mhz means DDR550Mhz (Dual Data Rate) ie: 2 x 275Mhz = 550Mhz (cos your running DDR (2 x).

So if you get a AMD64 3200+ your FSB defaults to 200MHZ (DDR400), your CPU speed is your FSB x Multiplier (10 on the AMD64 3200+)

Hence.. a 64 3200+ runs at 2000Mhz (2.0Ghz) because 200Mhz FSB x 10 Multiplier = 2000Mhz, so if you increase your FSB (overclock it) from say 200Mhz to 250Mhz (presuming you have very good cooling) you would have 250Mhz FSB x 10 Multiplier = 2500Mhz :D

As for the PSU's, the reason i always repeat my self regarding the psu's is because they are the best in the industry (in most users price range anyway otherwise you could have alook at PC Power & Cooling PSU's)

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. A good PSU is key, and unfortunately, a lot of people don't give much thought to the PSU they buy. They pay attention to the advertised wattage, which really doesn't mean much these days. People still assume that bigger numbers mean it's better. I have to shake my head at people that are willing to drop $500 on their CPU, but want to use some crumming $25 600W power supply to save money. Having a $40 350W PSU is almost guaranteed to run circles around the cheapo 600W, it's not even funny.

Basically, getting a good PSU is the same thing as putting premium gas in your Ferrari...if you want the thing to run at it's best, you will get the good stuff. You will pay if you go with the cheap PSU, or with the Ferrari, the cheap gas.

True, there is something to be said on price vs performance, but these need to be kept in check. You can find a good product for a decent price or cut corners elsewhere, but you don't want to go cheap on a part that can seriously affect your system's stability, and you're a fool if you do.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Yep, I learned the hard way.

6. Camalot

Camalot Geek Trainee

Hes motherboard only supports up to DDR 400 memory. Does that mean 400mhz? If so hes motherboard can only take 3200 max?

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's not how it works. The best example I've heard to explain this goes like this.

Compare RAM to a tire. It's got a speed rating good for a certain speed, being MHz or MPH. It will work fine with anything slower, but the max speed is the fastest it's guaranteed for. In otherwords, you can use a tire rated for 150MPH on a car that only goes 50MPH and be fine. Same with RAM: you can use PCxx00 at a slower speed just fine.

PC3200=DDR400, which runs at 400MHz. It gets the PC3200 part from channeling up to 3.2GB/s @ DDR400 speeds. I really need to make a big article to explain some of this stuff, since it tends to confuse people.

8. Camalot

Camalot Geek Trainee

So if i brought the AMD FX55 chip, which has multiplier of 13 and FSB of 200MHz. Standard ram would be 200X2X8 = PC3200 ( DDR 400 ) yes?

The reviews i read, the FX55 is best overclocked to 2.8 GHz with the FSB raised to 216Mhz so its 216X2X8 = PC 3500 ( DDR 433 ) ?

For example
    http://www.geil.com.tw/portal/product_433_t_dc.php

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

when overclocking your raise the FSB. You can raise the RAM speed so the Ram/CPU ratio is 1:1. You could just raise CPU FSB and leave ram speed. But it wouldn't run very well. If your overclocking, it's best to get faster ram than your processor's stock FSB by about 50 or so, just in case you can bump it up 50 your ram will match it flawlessly