were has all my hdd space gone??

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Willz, Jul 25, 2005.

1. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

When you boot the computer up and press F8 you will get a menu. One of the options that comes up is to boot in DOS mode. However I saw XP's version DOS mode once and never want to have to go through that again!

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

whats so bad bout windows xp dos to older ones?

3. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

With older ones you get honest-to-goodness, pure console-based, full-screen DOS. With XP you get DOS running in a window. Don't worry about it, it's a macho hacker thing. ;)

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

To get rid of temp files goto Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Run the app and it should remove all temp files.

To get into the hidden files all you have to do is goto your C:\ drive and up at the top should be the tools bar.

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

i dun mind the dos in a window, you can switch it to be full screen, also, i type in alot of commands, for example "run_notepad"

6. Hotlynx16

Hotlynx16 Geek Trainee

Actually it is not ScanDisk in XP it is Chk disk and to clean temp files you can also go to My computer , right click on your c drive , click on properties and near the botom right it says cleanup, click and check temp files.

7. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i got another problem, in my programs partition i was installing ut2k4, it encounterd an error, so i deleated the 4gb of installation it left behind then, i look and its still bieng read in there (in used space on partition properties it shoes about 5gb used, now i looked in the partition and there was one big folder with only about 195mb data in, i have show hidden files ticked, so were has all this space gone, will it be restored when i restart windows?

8. Hotlynx16

Hotlynx16 Geek Trainee

Could be your system restore files for that partition. I noticed Xp has a restore folder on each partition.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

10. Hotlynx16

Hotlynx16 Geek Trainee

I hope CC cleaner is improved because I used it a couple of years ago on a Win98 system and it took TOO MUCH out.In other words it wouldn't boot afterwards.