Question about AMD cpu's :P

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by sniperfox, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hehe, good old dad:) I'd say you'd be better off getting a slightly more expensive motherboard rather then a largly inferior video card replacement (the fastest AGP card is not even 2/3's as fast as the 7800GTX.
    I really don't know what the average Canadian prices are for hardware, maybe components just run cheaper in America but that guy was definately overcharging you big time as that processor is worth $130 US funds tops.
    The 3000+ Venice is $150 in the US, the motherboard should be less than $100. So in canadian funds that should roughly translate to <$300 right? Or am I underestimating the going rates over there? Local stores always charge way more than online stores, you can almost guarentee a better deal on line, even after shipping.

sniperfox likes this.
  2. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

yea, that would translate to ... 303.9 canadian :)
    i dont see why it would be more expensive to buy computer parts in canada, as opposed to the us. well, THAT much more expensive anyway.
    ill shop arround tomorrow.the store i went to (along with another one i know, ill ask about this there tomorrow) had trade in offers. like you trade in hardware and get store credit, dunno if it'll be worth it, might just get 50$ for what i have now :(
    ill let you know how it goes tomorrow :)

also, i couldnt help but notice you're only 16?? :O
    what the hell man? lol
    i had you pictured as a 30 year old expert! turns out you're a 16 year old expert:D

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hey thanks mate:) *blushes* Greatly appreciated:cool: I'll be looking forward to seeing how things unwind. Best of luck.

sniperfox likes this.
  4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Heys guys i think he should get a nForce 4 board to go with that 7800GTX!
    Opinions?

5. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

Oooook.
    im back from the store.. here's what he said..

he can order the mother board that my friend reccomended (the GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD) but he said that he has another one thats already in stock, and its pretty much the same thing (if not better).... the ASUS A8V (socket 939)
    Along with the amd a64 3000+ (not sure if its the venice one, ill have to ask next time)

all of this for 417 canadian, tax included., which is about 30-40 more then the other stores socket 754, which is BLEH :D

so, should i go ahead and put on the downpayment?? (after i check if its a venice core cpu , of course.)

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

go for an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe Motherboard for future SLI-Upgradability. That way if you decide to put another 7800GTX in there you can. (zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG has one and i'm sure he'll tell ya about it)

7. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

i've heard all about them:) my friend has 4 256 meg's in his computer, aparently.
    not to mention with all that you can fry an egg on your tower at the same time :p (he has liquid cooling)

i heard that not many games actually use sli technology yet, do they?

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

no not many do (if any) but its worth considering for future upgrades if you're a serious gamer

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I wouldn't buy anything from a store, I'd go to some online store and have them ship it.

10. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

i kinda have to buy it from this perticular store. they're my dads dealers, and hell kill me if i dont get it from there :D normally i'd buy over online though, tends to be cheaper.

but my big question is, is the cpu that i was quoted on (the asus A8v (socket 939) ) much different then the origional one? (GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard)????

like i said, the guy told me there realy wasnt much of a difference, but it would be easier to get the asus since its already in stock and i wouldnt have to wait so long. Are they the same? and if one's better then the other, which one should i get?
    i dont really want to bother with the sli stuff right yet, :p

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

if you are using an agp card then you're good to go man, just check out with ocz and check if your RAM is fully compatible with your motherboard

sniperfox likes this.
  12. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

cool :)
    i am using an agp card, and half of my current ram is compatible, which is 512 so thats not all that bad, ill get another gig soon.
    whats ocz? :)

13. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

i think that was your RAM manufacturer, also they stand for "overclockerz" haha

make sure to write down your memory type and model number, so later on you can buy another pair and run it dual channel unless you plan on running your 512mb DC

sniperfox likes this.
  14. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

I do plan on running my 512, for now.
    eventually im going to get the ram that my friend reccomended (mentioned before).
    in addition to the 512.

well, tomorrow im going to order it.. exfoliate, i wish you had a toll free number :( lol

15. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

Oooo. Oooo, i have another question... maybe someone can help me out...
    right now, im running the athlon 2400+ (at about 1.5ghz ). what im upgrading to is an amd athlon 64 3000+ venice.... i know that they are different,(due to the 64, i believe), but in tems of the cpu im running now, how fast will the new one be in ghz, roughly? (again, in terms of my current, since i know they're different)

thanks for your help. you guys are great.

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

AMD 64 3000+ Venice has a clock speed of about 1.8GHz
    EDIT:(put an extra 0 in i missed one out it said 300+ oops)

17. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

are you serious?
    why am i upgrading then?
    :O

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

because its a 64bit processor it'll be future proof, have bigger L2 Caches, have ooler running temps...(somebody else carry this on please...)

19. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

oh yea, i see what you mean, like, an athlon 1.5ghz, and an athlon 64 1.5ghz wouldnt nessicairly run at the same speed :p

yea, i asked what the 64 would run at, in terms of the current cpu i have now, thats why i was a little confused by your answer :p i mean, what would the speed of a athlon 64 3000+ convert to, if it wasnt a 64.. i heard it was about 2.5 or something?

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah, 64 bit is the way to go, i dont have a 64bit CPU and i'm sad :( (will upgrade when i have lots of money) :p