Question about AMD cpu's :P

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by sniperfox, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Assuming the card you get is PCI-Express I'm still standing by the Chaintech: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813152049
    3000+ for the CPU makes the most sense to me, hope you're friend doesn't kill you:p, just laugh at him when he finds out you saved $50 and have it overclocked beyond 2.6Ghz.
    Just make sure the ram you have is a good name brand, generic no-name stuff will not give you a good Overclock, if you get one at all. I found that out myself:(

sniperfox likes this.
  2. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

im not sure im going to get a pci express right yet. I dont really feel like having to go buy a brand new g-card for that, yet anyway :p (the company's return policy is pretty tight for cards that were even used once)
    is agp discontinued or something?? although i know pci express is better (i think) would it really hurt to keep agp?

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

It's not officially discontinued, so more budget model cards will be AGP for a little while now but there's no real point of upgrading to a really expensive AGP card when you'll just have to upgrade the motherboard the next time you need to replace the card. It's good to stay pretty current anway. If you can confirm the card you're getting is in fact AGP I'll find a new AGP compliant mobo, it's not a big deal. PCI cards aren't any faster than their AGP brethren, graphics technology hasn't really reached the point to where they need all that extra bandwidth quite yet, but it will soon enough.

sniperfox likes this.
  4. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

Makes sense to me..
    well, yea, it is in fact an agp card :(but you know what? screw it
    find me a good pci mobo (im assuming the cpu will be different too, right? )

also, if i switch to a pci mobo, will i need to get a differetn kind of ram then im using now in my agp?

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

PCI-Express has no real berring on CPU type or ram. Just grapics cards is all. The 3000+ Venice will work just fine, it's a socket 939 chip so that's all you need to concider. DDR400 has been the standard for AMD for years so that will work just fine so long as it's name brand stuff. How much can you afford to spend on the motherboard, there are plenty of nice ones but they cost much more than the Chaintech:(

sniperfox likes this.
  6. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

:D
    thanks.

well, my planned budget for upgrade is about 600$ canadian
    i dont really want the BEST mother board out there, cause i wanna save some money for a graphic card (ill take whats left over, plus trade in my current gpu, cpu and mobo, to but a new g-card, and maybe throw in some more cash, who knows)

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Woah, I thought your dad already ordered a new Graphics card for you? The Chaintech seems like the best bang for the buck (it's PCI-Express naturally), I'd suggest an EPoX motherboard but lots of member here don't seem to like them so I won't risk it.

sniperfox likes this.
  8. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

well yes, he did order it, but like i said its from his buisness supplier (where he gets his parts for his work). i can very easielly return it for an pci card, as long as its not used at all.

so, the CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD??
    hmm, sounds good i guess. and thats better then the one that was suggested by my friend?
    how do i know if that supports my type of ram?

this is what i have in there now :D

"SPD Memory Modules:
    DIMM1: Elpida EBD25UC8AMFA-6B 256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)

DIMM2 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

DIMM3: Elpida EBD25UC8AMFA-6B 256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hmmm, well unfortunately I've never heard of that brand, doesn't sound like it's cut out for some real overclocking but just visit Chaintechs site and see what sort of ram is compatable with it. Or google it and you'll probably get a bunch of forum topics elsewhere.
    The board should be a bit better as it's nForce 4 compaired to 3, a few new features and technology.

sniperfox likes this.
  10. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

oh dont worry, ill upgrade the ram eventually.
    i just wanna know if the mobo you suggested will take them. i at least wanna try it out first, before i overclock (which i will )

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Like I said check but my motherboard took the most generic ram imaginable without a hitch, I've got the Gigabyte K8NS-939 by the way.

sniperfox likes this.
  12. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

i just checked..
    the chaintech supports "(4) Dual-DDR 266/333/400 DIMMs (4)GB
    "

i guess, mine will be alright??

13. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

should be fine

sniperfox likes this.
  14. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

Wicked.
    thanks for all your help guys :D

exfoliate? do you by any chance have msn? if you do, add me :d [email protected] :p im going to have this upgrade ordered within the next 12 hours, and i might need some last minute help :p
    anyway, bed time for me guys, its 4:30 in the morning here on the east coast:)
    thanks again for all your help

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

off topic: damn exfoliate, YOU'RE ALMOST AT 100!

1 small step for HF
    1 big step for me to catch up :rolleyes:

sniperfox likes this.
  16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

lol zrock its all just one big competition isnt it?! lol :eek:

17. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sorry sniperfox, I don't have have msn messenger:(, the forums will work fine I hope:)

18. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

:p thats alright
    i already put the downpayment on it of 80 (although its not ordered right yet)
    the guys at the store aparently never heard of the venice core's (they were tech, the salemen wasnt in today, since its sunday)
    so they'll check it out and give me a call

19. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

ALRIGHT!!!
    here's my final thingy. im ORDERING this tomorrow, unless someone thinks its wrong :D

CPU: AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ venice core 939 socket pci-e
    GPU : nvidia gefore 6800GT pcix16
    mobo: ASUS A8N-E (939)

like it?

also, im selling my current setup (mobo, cpu and gpu) to my firend for 300 (246 american) that sound resonable? the store has a trade in offer but they'll probably only gimme 150

20. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

3000+
    6800GT
    A8n-E

Have fun with it, you'll be seeing a huge performance increase over your old setup.

Also, if you've got any problems/questions you can always come back

sniperfox likes this.