The Origin Of Your Alias

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nic, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Elly

Elly Geek Trainee

Nothing fancy...my alias is my real name.
    I used to have a nickname I used in chat but now I can't be botherred to think of one so I use my own name ;)

2. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

I don't think I've done this yet so I'll give it a whirl :)

Back in the day (about 3-4 years ago) I started playing Diablo II. I liked it so much I tried it online via battle.net, so I had to create an account. I tried a few ones but of course they were all taken and I was gettin kinda pissed. I was watching Ren & Stimpy, so I tried Stimpy but alas it was taken, so I decided to throw a phat E on the end and tada! StimpE was born.

3. Kyle89

Kyle89 Geek Trainee

Mine's simple. I'm Kyle, so that takes care of the Kyle. As for the 89, in early games I played 69 was too mainstream a number and yet I wanted something I could easily remember.

4. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Wow! Some interesting explanations for aliases - that's for sure. However, I'm afraid I can't add to them. My first name is, of course, David, and I live in the North West of England, so I just tacked NW on the end of my first name.

5. Biofreak101

Biofreak101 Geek Trainee

Hmm... A couple of years ago I had this game BioFreak for the N64, and it sucked, but i liked the name, it kinda discribed me. Unstabe, Loner, Sciency... So when I started with all the forums and blog's n stuff, It came too me and I've been using it ever since

6. zeus

zeus out of date

When I was about ten or something someone told me that Zeus was the God of gods. We were playing California Games on the NES and because you can enter your name my mates girlfriend wanted to be called sexgod. So I thought Id go one better and be Zeus.

A few years later, I suppose when I was about 12-13 I started playing laser quest with a few mates, joined a league and named myself Zeus. Worked pretty well because I was top of the tables all the time :)

Then I used it on Delta Force 2, again it served me well. I wasnt quite the best but definatly top 5 out of the little group of us who didnt update the game. We had to use servers hosted by ourselves because NovaLogic only had servers on the updated game. Only half a dozen people had broadband out of that group so there were probably less than 100 of us who played.

Then I started posting on forums so used Zeus. In fact I just found out California Games came out in 1988 so its safe to say Ive used this alias for some time!

7. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Unimaginative i know but im from york, my names kev and im 28

8. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Mine's decently lame. My gamer tag for shooters has and always will be UnSeEnDeAtH (I thought of it ALL MY MYSELF!). Well..figured I'd be talking about games and stuff here (little surprise), so I tried UnSeEnDeAtH. Either it was too long or it was taken; can't quite remember. Anyway, UnSeEn was born. Just like clockwork!

So, if you see UnSeEnDeAtH anywhere on a game, "you betta watch yo 6, bro".

(I regret to inform you all that most of my kills in shooting games aren't exactly "unseen". In fact, you'll see UnSeEnDeAtH running towards you screaming hell and high water ;)

9. j0ker

j0ker Geek Trainee

I came up with mine when I was trying to dign up on a forum realted to airsoft, which was also the first time I ever signed up onto a forum. Joker was taken, so I replaced the o with a 0, and it's stuck ever since.

I've always loved the movie Full Metal Jacket, and remembered the main character, who's nickname was Joker. The way he had "Born To Kill" written on his helmet, and wore a peace symbol on his jacket reminded me of myself, how I believe that war is sometimes nessecary, not to mention I am fascinated by war and how it affects people, and how its fought, but prefer for there to be peace in the world (like that'll ever happen ;) ). Not to mention I just like making contradictions to myself and others :p ! Then of course there is also the fact that I like joking around, and can find the humor in anything (although I do shutup if it's inappropriate for the moment).

[EDIT]

I forgot to ask some of you, how do you change your alias?

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Unfortunately you're pretty much stuck with what you've got, if people could change it at will we'd all be pretty confused who's who. However if you really need it changed you can kindly ask an administrator and perhaps you can get it changed, it'd be easy now as you're new. Keep in mind though that if you post 100 times you can change where it says Geek Trainee to whatever you want if that helps.

11. Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix Geek Trainee

Way back when when I used to enjoy going to cyber cafe's to play Counterstrike with me buds we were all thinkin up names, and since I like the Sniper Rifles soo much I called myself Sniper Wolf, but I felt that was a bit of a cheat, so I came up with "Eye of the Phoenix" cos Phoenix is my favourite word, but that was a big of a mouthful, so one day when I was driving somewhere, the name "Rising Phoenix" just kinda popped into my head... I just loved it, so I've stuck with it for the past couple years.

12. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

My nickname name is my actually nick name that people call me in real life. I have like five other "gamers names" alternatively i use O'nasty which came from Hell O Nasty, which made MK 2 really gory. I just dropped the hell and got O'nasty. As for my nickname which is kinda weird and i'm not completely sure as to how people started calling me Swansen universally, OH yes i even got an S on my class ring and swansen engraved on the underside instead of my realy name. Yeah everybody i knew called me Swansen. Anyways i think it came about because i was writing this story in the eighths grade and one of my characters was named Swansen Bartholumew Ya Ya Salty Dog Shrimp. And one kid always called me Ya Ya because i said yeah a lot. I think i might have signed a paper Swansen and one of my friends started calling me Swansen and then everyone else starte calling me Swansen. Then people made devations, Swanse, Swano, lol that was only a couple kids, and of coarse Swan. Yeah i thought it was funny that people were shorting a nickname. I don't get called Swansen so much anymore only a hand full of people, but nor do i sign many things Swansen ether. Oh yeah this one teacher even started calling me Swansen, that was funny.

13. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Wow, this is a seriously old thread. Here goes, my nickname explained for the first time. About 8 years ago a 14 year old girl was sitting in a coffee shop with some goth kids. She put some hot sauce on something and said that it the had more "wompshmack". I didn't know any of these people, but the word stuck with me. Later I met these people and we're friends now, and I've asked them about the history of that word, but no one seems to know of any history predating the cofee shop.

14. edijs

edijs Programmer

it's my name basically. I've used several aliases in the past, but in the end I came down to this simple solution.

15. ShellyCat

ShellyCat Geek Trainee

Shelly is my cat. :rolleyes:

Not very imaginative...I used to write but now save the imagination for school and websites...then my brain is fried!

16. aarathi

aarathi Geek Trainee

Whats the story behind your nickname?

My name is Bindu. My user name is aarathi. This is my daughter's name. I love my daughter very much. That is why i select this name as user name.

17. diazed129

diazed129 Guest

Hmmm, I thought that was your name on your sig then, I wanted an origional name that would never be taken so I named myself Exfoliate after my habit of trying on girls exfoliating sandles last summer. Exfoliating sandles have squiggly mess on the soles that allow your feet to breath, the friends that I borrowed the sandles from bought me a pair of my own and in honor of the occasion I named myself after the sandles. So remember lads, the easiest way to a gals heart is through wearing her exfoliating sandles, remember me when you try this

18. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

i have two alias =)

first Gorn which i used here (Gorn from Gothic hes just a badass so i stole his name)

my other is the thegoldx which evolved over along time i always like the name Theone from like zelda and it was always taken so i created Thegoldone which after years some how become Thegoldx =)

19. fingertoessk8

fingertoessk8 ProdigyPants

LOL! Love that! For me, I have always loved to fingerboard, and I use both my fingers as my toes, and I skateboard too :)

20. schizo671

schizo671 Geek Trainee

Mine came when i was playing call of duty mw on the pc and at G3, as i was staring blanky at the computer for 5 mins thinking of the name i just decided to to use what i was learning at school at that moment... schizophrenia and as i entered tournaments for cod the name just stuck... and 671 is Guams area code so schizo671 was made